1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cold Air Intake on 94 k1500

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by jsmith4816, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member

Hey all, just wondering if it's worth putting a K&N cold air intake on to help increase gas mileage. If you have one, do you like it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

It would help alittle depending on your driving habits but the most it would do is make alittle more noise under your hood...i just use a drop-in K&N Air Filter and it works great...its your choice but id say go for it :great:

P.S-Make sure you get a plastic intake and dont get a metal one,metal will heat up and basically be a hot air intake lol
  3. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member

Also, make sure the air intake is routed to the outside of the vehicle. Otherwise you're just going to suck in hot air.
  4. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Chris Miller, when you say "routed to the outside of the vehicle" do you mean reroute it from what K&N sends me? In the package, it routs the filter next to the battery, or should it route it somewhere else?

Once again, thanks guys
  5. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member

What I mean is, you don't want the filter element just sticking up somewhere under the hood. It'll just suck hot air in and actually make you lose power. The factory air box intake goes through the core support to just behind the grill, down through the fender, and so forth. It's not the most efficient, but you'd want yours to pull air in from around the grill. See if you can rig something up to pull the air from the stock location in the grill, but route the hose straight to the intake kit.
  6. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

I second this guy right here.

As a former K&N employee i can tell you that the intake kit will indeed give you more HP, especially for an OBD1 controlled engine like in 94 k1500.
    However gas millage will suffer becaus you are not drawing from an isolated cold air source inside of the fender, and you will waste more fuel during engine warm up as well.
    the bes way to get gas millage with power increase is to completely clean the intake. everything. the pastic tube to the throddle body injectors. and just drop in the stock style K&N filter. the whole intake kit is not worth the money.
    i now adverage 15 MPG consistantly
  7. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member

Thank you for the insight. The more and more I looked into it, the more I started to lean towards just getting the filter and not the boot kit. So, I'm just going to go with the filter. Thanks again for the opinions, they are greatly appreciated