Cold Air Intake or Dual Exhaust

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by TexAg95, Feb 3, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. TexAg95

TexAg95 New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to this site but it seems to be a great place to get opinions on truck upgrades and mods. I have a 2007 Sierra (new body style) and am considering a performance mod this spring, either a cold air intake or dual exhaust. I'm more interested in improving my mpg but improved performance would be good too because I tow a boat over the summer. I'd like to hear your opinion on both and which one I should pursue, if you have any recommendations send them my way. Thanks!
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I like the Gale Banks CAI and exhaust. Little pricey but well worth it.
  3. chschevy58

chschevy58 New Member 100 Posts

i recommend going for both. they compliment eachother perfectly. it will improve mpg and performance. you will see more improvment with both. but if you are picking one over the other then it depends on if you want noise or not. if you want some noise go for the dual exhaust but if your looking more for mpg just go cold air intake.
  4. Ridinonacloud

Ridinonacloud New Member

The basic principle is what you are willing to spend.

The exhaust will cost you a bit more and if you aren't mechanically inclined enough you may need someone else to put it on for you. The downfall to the exhaust is you may like the sound a bit too much and end up on the throttle more than usual meaning less mpg. Just be smart about it... Certainly will be $500+

The CAI is a real easy install and at $230 for a K&N it's a cheap upgrade.

Just figure out which one you can really afford otherwise do both. I started with the CAI and within 2 months had put on the exhaust.

Good Luck
  5. chschevy58

chschevy58 New Member 100 Posts

got my dual exhaust with custom bent pipes, a 40 series muffler, and chrome rolled tips for $300. and a good k&n cold air intake is $275 not installed. i thought that was pretty close in price.
  6. TL|GTX

TL|GTX New Member

An true dual exhaust will give u more horespower and torque, and will give u better mpg, bc less backpressure. A cold air intake will only give u a couple to the flywheel.
  7. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member 100 Posts

This is not true. It used to give you better mpgs but with the computers on the trucks now it will actually run richer. This means you will dump more fuel which means you will loose mpg also you will loose power. It only works with the tune and intake and exhaust added togather they work in unison. The added sound and fact that you bought something that is supposed to give power will fool you into thinking you gained. Kinda like a magician fools you . You can get all three for about 900 bucks and you will end up saving money. I would also go with a single in dual out setup.
  8. TL|GTX

TL|GTX New Member

Well in most cases a a true dual exhuast will give u alot more lower and topend torque bc of less backpressure, with v6's and this isnt wat u want unless ur turbo's or s/ced. But with all v8's u dont need any backpressure at all.
  9. pmartin816

pmartin816 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would start with the cold air intake. From my experience I have found that its the best place to start.
  10. Stealth

Stealth New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have been trying to figure out a custom intake for my truck using Spectre parts, and it looks like i will be spending about 125 dollars on it, not too bad.