Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Cold Air Intake Vs Exhaust System

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by OHChevy03, Apr 21, 2011.

1. OHChevy03

OHChevy03 Member

I've had my truck for almost a year now and am looking into doing a mod or two. I was looking to hear some opinions on the benefits of both a Cold Air Intake and an Exhaust System on MPGs and HPs. I'm not looking to have an exhaust system that is extremely loud, just louder than stock (if I go that route). Also, I have heard that CAI can make the engine sound a little louder, is this true? Any comments are welcome.

2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

A CAI and a better exhaust will give you an increase in HP and maybe a slight increase in MPG as well. However, don't expect a lot of gains from either upgrade by itself. When you have an intake, an exhaust and other upgrades such as headers or a custom tune all on your truck, you will see much bigger improvements than having just a single upgrade. A CAI might change the engine sound a little but idk.

3. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I had a cai on my 89, it sounded alittle but not as much as the exhaust

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It all depends on your foot... If you have a heavy one then you will not get better MPG's.. As for a good exhust with low noise Corsa would be a good one to look at.. Also what a lot of people over look if you are going to take your 5000LBS Truck faster look in to better breaks too...

5. I just installed the Airaid MIT and it definitely is louder than stock. The reason why CAI works better than stock, or I should say one of them, is that the air path is simplified which means the removal of the resonators(pockets) that the stock intake tube has to reduce the sound.

6. OHChevy03

OHChevy03 Member

Okay would it make more sense to leave the filter and filter box stock and just add a new, larger tube? Would this make the engine run more efficient? If I go this route along with a exhaust system would this improve HP and MPGs?

7. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I just installed a K&N Air Filter and dual exhaust's with a Flowmaster super 40 Series dual in / dual out and i can a good bit of difference from my straight's i had. I plan on installing a x pipe which will help me get a few extra HP and some torque and help the exhaust flow more evenly. I believe this will help some also and i will buy header's later on down the road but these mod's together you will see a difference...

8. I would recommend buying either the Airaid MIT and just get a drop in filter of whatever brand. Keep the OEM airbox as it is already basically a CAI. It is on my 2007 VortecMax 6.0L. Not sure if yours is.

If you look at the sticky about CAI you will see that the stock air intake with just a k&n drop in filter performed about as good as all the other expensive CAI kits. Therefore reasonable deduction will tell you that basically a Airaid MIT or something similar will give you equal performance at a fraction of the cost. The Airaid MIT does make more noise than stock, but only when you are into the throttle heavy. At cruise I hear no more engine noise than with the stock setup.

Now you have air coming in at a greater rate, thus you need to provide a place for it to go. Best solution would be long tube headers and an exhaust system. I am looking into Banks Monster Exhaust as I am going to stick with a 2-1 setup. I am not looking for a noise machine but just a more efficient intake and exhaust process. The more efficient you make it the better HP and MPG you get.

Now my problem is that I like the new growl and the perceived pickup so my gas mileage has actually dropped. I went from 15.2 avg to 15.0 avg and I will say that I am giving it more throttle and goosing it more than I used to. So I will take a hit of only .2 mpg for now and when I get over the newness I'm sure I'll see a slight overall increase in mileage.

9. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Volant CAI and Gibson cat back exhaust, you won't be disappointed.

10. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

If you wanna do exhaust I recommend these guys (my kit is on it's way). They will build the kit for your truck so you dont need to remove the spare tire. Right now free shipping and 10 percent off. http://www.truckexhaustkits.com/