1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by smainsw, Dec 7, 2008.

1. smainsw

smainsw Rockstar

I've been thinking about putting a cold air intake on my truck, I was reading somewhere that it should be taken off for the winter and put the OEM air intake back on. It does get fairly cold up here in the winter around -20 C (-4 deg F if i did the conversion right) that and we do get a lot of road salt in the winter, just wondering what peoples experience/thoughts on this are.

2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

I've never heard of that before, if your gonna put a CAI on once it's on leave it on.

3. raisor87

raisor87 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have heard you should use a different filter for higher elevations as the humidity changes but I don't know about temp

4. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've not ever heard of having to take off the CAI during winter.

5. smainsw

smainsw Rockstar

ya i thought it was kind of funny, oh well now for the big decision of figuring out what brand to buy

6. common dude

common dude Rockstar

k & n ftw!!

7. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

FWIW, I think this came from the import camp. With an import a CAI is where the intake piping actually goes low to right behind the front bumper, or sometimes into the wheel well versus just a pipe and an open element filter under the hood. Being in the Rocky Mountains, most guys do change out their intakes during the winter so as not to suck up too much water/slush/snow. AEM makes a bypass valve that combats this though.

8. Stouffer

Stouffer Rockstar 100 Posts

Or Injen makes a Hydro-shield. It goes over the filter this way you don't have to cut your pipe to intall the aem bypass valve.

9. jiujitsu

jiujitsu Rockstar

could someone throw a link up for one of these CAI just put a k&n air filter in the stock box....i guess i rigged it eh lol .dont get anything from what i did i guess ?

10. steves86ta

steves86ta Rockstar

i highly recommend the volant intake. I have had one on both of my trucks, and was more than pleased with it