cold air intake

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by rholl23, May 9, 2009.

1. rholl23

rholl23 New Member

hey i have a 03 chevy 1500 4.8 Vortec looking for opinions on cold air intake.What are some of the better brand? thanks for the help im new to the Forum.

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

:sign0016:I've always liked K&N products. My 93 has a factory CAI, but I did install a K&N filter. I'm sure others will chime in.

3. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

K&N is good but there are several out there that are just as good with a cheaper price. the only real difference is the filter on the end of the tube aside from that they are all pretty much the same.

4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've always been partial to the looks and quality of the Volant, I'm sure the performance is the same as all the others. :great:

Attached Files:

5. destroyer1362

destroyer1362 New Member

For intakes in general I would say k&n but if its cai you are looking for I would go with Volant

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

X4 on K&N CAI,But in General most of the CAI's on the market today are Very Good.It really all depends on which one you feel is the best for your ride.

7. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i had a k&n 57 series on mine when i bought it. didnt change anything, just keep it clean. i love it

8. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I'm a full supporter of AirAID. I like the look and the performance. Like the others have said, it's a matter of personal preference.

9. MeanGreenMachine

MeanGreenMachine Rockstar

I really like the Volant. But go with the PowerCore filter. There is no oiling required, and you only have to clean it every 100k miles. I've had K&N and the regular Volant Blue filters, and the oiling is really not much fun.

10. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i dont agree with the whole dry filter thing, yes he is correct, it may not be the most thrilling thing in the world to clean your filter, but atleast you know that that oiled filter is going to collect the absolute smallest of particles b/c it has something wet to cling to. i am not saying the dry filters are not efficient, but i would trust an oiled one for highter protection of my motor. also, the whole 100,000 mile thing...is crap, i dont care what the box says, i am going to clean my filter when it gets dirty and not any later. i would suggest volant simply b/c i think their design will allow for mor cold air in over the k & n 57 seires. i have the k&n, and have pondered the thought of changin to volant. but it is your money, spend it as you see fit