Cold air intake

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 08bowtie, Aug 1, 2009.

1. 08bowtie

08bowtie Rockstar 100 Posts

What does a cold air intake actually do to the performance of the motor?? Sorry, not a gear head:lol:

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The cooler the air is, the denser it is which is better for performance. The under hood air is hotter, from the engine heat, and is thinner. Hope that helps.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The theory is that the CAI kit will pull outside "cooler" air, usually through the fender, rather than the hot engine compartment air. I think starting with the Vortec in 96, the stock induction system does the same thing. Some CAI kits are also have smoother, and sometimes larger, piping. This reduces restriction of airflow to the motor. I think if you have a 95 or older you might see a slight difference in performance across the board. With 96 and up, I think the only place you would see/feel a difference is WOT. My experience with a CAI was overall not good. Didn't feel any significant performance change, and the noise was very annoying. The stock induction has baffles which absorb a significant amount of noise. So, no more CAI for me. And unless you have your foot to the floor all the time, I wouldn't recommend one.