1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cold air intake?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Only Beasts Drive Chevys, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Just a couple questions. Is it worth it? What kind is best? Any other comments or anything would help, thanks.
  2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Look around the site and search for CAI and you'll find some real good information. There's a thread by Jenna Bear that compares performance gains by the different types (open and closed box CAI) and by the different brands. A lot of members on here use the Volant or K&N. I've been real happy with my Volant. Good throttle response gains and nice sound when you need to get up and go.
  3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

A CAI intake is a good performance upgrade, however, don't expect a huge increase in HP. Combining a CAI with other performance upgrades such as exhaust, custom tune, cam, forced induction etc...is where you'll start seeing considerable gains. As for what intake to get, use the search bar and see what comes up, you'll find pros and cons for just about every intake.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

CAI's give you a little more hp's, but what you really feel is the throttle respone, much better than the stock airbox and intake tube. Look in your stock airbox and you will see "ribs" molded into the plastic box and lid. The intake tube has baffles. The main reason for the ribs and baffles are for noise reduction. They end up hampering airflow. I like the closed airbox CAI's, I have the Banks CAI that you can see on my lastest photo album. It has a huge K&N filter.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

One thing I like about the Banks is if you look at the intake tube just behide the MAF theres a rubber flex tube. This tube is almost smooth inside so it doesn't hamper airflow, but what this piece does is it lets the engine flex without loosening the intake tube at the throttlebody. Kits without this flex tube have a tendancy to loosen at the throttlebody. This is something most people never notice unless there taking the tube off for lets say to clean the throttlebody. Just think about it, the airbox is bolted solid to the trucks frame and the engine flex's on its motor mounts with engine torque while driving. Something must/will give and move.
  5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good point, the Volant has a flex coupling in it too.
  6. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 New Member

Performance 4 Trucks website has the AirRaid Jr tube on sale for 109.99 ( regular 149.99 ) and a $10 off coupon code ( FACEBOOK ) and free ground shipping.
    So you can get it shipped for $99.00
  7. silveradotrailblazer

I've never compared other closed box CAI's (never thought too) but the Banks CAI for the gas trucks uses the same airbox and filter as they use for the deisel trucks, so I'm sure the flow enough air for even modified gas trucks.
  8. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 New Member

One other thing i forgot to mention, Here are the dyno results for Airraid system on 5.3L. " I personally dont believe its gona give that much, but its something to consider"
    [​IMG]
  9. Thanks guys. I think I'm going to get one and if it put on this weekend. My dad thinks I should go with K&N because of the warranty but hopefully I'll like it.
  10. silveradotrailblazer

Banks is having a father days sale on everything including there CAI's.:happy: