Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Kickerking817, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Kickerking817

Kickerking817 Rockstar

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe 4.8 and i want to put a cold air intake on but not really sure if its worth it. I have also heard that the oil from the filter can cause the MAF to foul out. So what do you think is it worth it? have you had any or heard of anyone having problems after installing a CAI?

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you don't have any other Performance Mods on your Tahoe now.......I would hold off on buying a CAI.......as getting the return on your Investment will take a Long Time.....before the CAI starts paying you back......I would go with a Cat Back Exhaust and then a Tune....before buying a CAI and the reason is going with Just a CAI and nothing else, the Gains would be Small if any at All.....in H.P. and/or M.P.G..

Regarding the Oil Filter's that are out there.......they get a Bad Rap.....and the reason is because of those who Do Not following the Instruction's when it comes to Re-Oiling the Air Filter's and Over Oil the Filter's......I've had K&N's on all of my Vehicles for around 15/16yrs and have Not had 1 Problem with Oil getting on the MAF Sensor.

Edit:....I just noticed, you do have a Cat Back Exhaust......Sorry I miss that....having the Exhaust along with a Tune will give you some Gains...in H.P....M.P.H.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. BillM

BillM Rockstar 100 Posts

As Mike says, the engine is basically a pump. If you only improve the exhaust, there is still the restriction on the intake. And, there is no flow improvement. It needs to have 3 things to improve flow: Less restrictive exhaust, Less restrictive intake, and improved valve actuation and timing - cam. The custom tune may be the best in a smog world for a cam change.
    If the oil impregnated filters are a problem, then the filter cleaning and re-oiling instructions are not being followed. I never had a problem. Knock on Wood!!

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Check out K&N's website, they have several videos regaurding the oil and MAF's. I've had K&N's on everything I've owned since '77 and never had a sensor failure. GM blames the oil on the MAF's but if you ask them for test results/proof they don't have any.

5. Kickerking817

Kickerking817 Rockstar

Thanks guys.

6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

another opton would be to go with a filter that has no oil, I have a spectre CAI on my truck, seems to be working great.

Alex

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This x2, as it said it all -- and said it well.