Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cold Air intakes...

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by A_Clutts, Apr 8, 2013.

1. A_Clutts

A_Clutts New Member

Alright, I've been searching all over the web for Cold Air intake kits to go on my 2000 Silverado 5.3L 1500. Obviously some brands may be better quality or better functioning then others but I just don't know enough people with them to compare. I was wondering what peoples' opinions are on the subject. My father will always recommend K&N but I'm wondering if there are any others that produce higher then a 9hp gain. I'm looking for the greatest amount of horsepower practically possible.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You won't feel it much between 5-14 HP gains. You will hear the Air being Sucked in and maybe a little more Pick up and go.But if you do do this then a Exhaust system along with a programer will help But be warned Your MPG's will also go down depending on your Right foot..:gasp: I myself have always gone with K&N for reliability, for filtration and Tests that they have performed.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The gains are also primarily at WOT ... so unless you spend a lot of time there, your butt dyno will probably never notice an improvement. This means buy what you like the looks and/or sound of ... since they do change your underhood looks ... and also change how your machine sounds when it inhales.

I, myself, like Volant CAI's. I think the Banks units look sharp (REALLY sharp -- as in I even prefer them to Volants in terms of looks), but I've never had the opportunity to hear one.
  4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I think you'll be lucky to get 5HP gain from a CAI.

IMO, just replace the intake tube with an MIT and pop in a K&N air filter. The combo of new tube and less restrictive filter may get you the 9HP gain you are looking for. It will certainly sound better under heavy throttle that's for sure.

Don't waste your time with a TBS, someone will surely tell you they help, but they don't do anything but whistle.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ive said it before and Ill stand by it just like stchman posted a quality drop in filter and change out the inlet tube.
    Ive seen guys with a little imagination build some great air supply systems for very little money by visiting the local hardware store and seeing whats available.
    Theres not a huge amount of power to be gained without internal engine upgrades done in conjunction with exhaust upgrades and intake upgrades.
    Yuo might pick off a couple horsepower here and there but when combined they wont all add up to a neck snapping change.
    But the audible change coupled with visual change can sometimes be worth the price.
  6. repley81

repley81 Member 1 Year

Go with K&N, they are easy to install. Oh and they are usually cheaper on Amazon than the actual K&N website.
  7. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

yeah K&N will give you the most power. proven.
    plus, they come with a 1,000,000 mile warranty. so if its ever damaged in anyway you can get a new one.
    just be sure you get the "precharger" filter wrap-sock-thing for it. makes it stay MUCH cleaner
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had a 63 series K&N full intake on my 5.3, and it looked nice $379.00
    I just bought a Spectre kit for my truck, $150 Summit Racing and it looks nice too.

Performance gains eeehh?? Looks-hell yeah, sound- yep it's all there
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well said! :great:
  10. truc.karl

truc.karl New Member

K&N is a good brand of cai. I had one on my previous car though I experienced minor improvement.