cold air intakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by z7177, Apr 13, 2009.

1. z7177

z7177 New Member

Hey guys, i was thinking about puting a cold air intake on my truck but want to no if its worth the money an if it incrces hp an mpg

2. jeremysr10

jeremysr10 New Member

I have had a few and liked them. My first was a K&N I put on a 2004 Trailblazer along with a Granatelli MAF sensor, exhaust and Hypertech Power Programmer III. It was sweet. The truck ran awesome and I got 24 mpg hwy. However, when I cleaned it I apparently over oiled it. The oil got on the MAF sensor, sent a bad signal to the computer, which sent too rich of a fuel mixture, which fouled the plugs and eventually clogged the cats. At least that is what the GM mech said which is why they said the warranty would not cover the repair. I know the K&N works but sice then I have been nervous so On my last 2 trucks I have gone with the AEM Brute Force Intake because it does not use an oiled filter. I did not notice as much of a difference with the AEM as I did witht the K&N but I did get some perfomance gains. As far as the mpg, it is hard to tell because I have so many other mods. Also, it is hard to stay off the gas pedal.

3. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

yea that was just a way for them not to cover the work that isnt true it doesent suck the oil into the enging that is what it is for to stop stuff from coming in. Yea they are the first preformance upgrade to do and they are well worth the money k&N is the bomb digidy

4. z7177

z7177 New Member

alright thanks, i was leaning towards the k&n anyway but can you tell me about your hypertec programer?

5. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I also have a K&N FIPK and love it! I found mine on eBay for a great price.

Here is a link to a thread where I described my experience with my Hypertech Max Energy: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15502

P.S. Fill out your signature when you get some time so we can see what you're driving.

6. z7177

z7177 New Member

ok thanks for the info. how much was your programer?