Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cold-air intakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by RCChevyGuy, Feb 16, 2012.

1. RCChevyGuy

RCChevyGuy New Member

Im planning on adding a cold air intake to my 01 silverado, 4.8 liter v8, and i was wondering if anyone had any preference or info as to what a good intake is, i've been looking at the K&N 77 series, i also am looking onto a steering stabilizer to fix a slight vibration i've picked up since i lifted my truck and im curious if there's much of a difference in many of the brands, looking at fab-tech, any help would be appreciated.
  2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Most of the CAI's are pretty good other than the cheap Chinese junk sold on eBay. K&N, Airaid, Volant, AEM, Banks, Bullydog are all good brands. Shop around and see where you can get the best price on any of these. Personally I prefer the Airaid.
  3. RAV52202

RAV52202 Member 100 Posts

I had the k&n on my 02 5.3. I think it was the 77 series. Had the aluminum pipe. I loved the sound it gave when you got after it. I heard that the kits with the plastic pipe is better. the plastic is supposed to be smoother then the aluminum so the air will move better.
  4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have a Volant on my truck. If I was to do it over again I would just get a k&n drop in filter and drill a hole or 2 into the stock housing. If you do get a kit do not get one with the metal tube. They hold a bunch of heat so it kinda defeats the purpose.
  5. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Installed a Volant CAI from AutoAnything.com, and have had no problems. Installation's not too difficult either :glasses:
  6. RAV52202

RAV52202 Member 100 Posts

I ran into a problem with a friends truck. don't remember what brand name kit we used but when he hit WOT his check engine light would come on and the code would be for mass airflow sensor. He had to put a performance one on. the stock one couldn't handle the air i guess.
  7. alabamaxrebel

alabamaxrebel Rockstar 100 Posts

What lift do you have on your truck? If you open the instruction PDF you will see it only works with the Fabtech 6" kits.
  8. RCChevyGuy

RCChevyGuy New Member

I only have a 3" inch body lift on this truck, so you're saying the fabtech steering stabilizer will only work with a truck that already has a Fabtech lift?
  9. alabamaxrebel

alabamaxrebel Rockstar 100 Posts

10. RCChevyGuy

RCChevyGuy New Member

wait, i take that back, i do have a leveling kit as well on the truck, not just the body lift