1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Cold air kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bluewater, Dec 28, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Bluewater

Bluewater Rockstar

Santa brought a cold air intake kit for my truck, an 03 GMC 2500HD w/ 8.1 gas & Allison trans. What can I expect for performance improvement and difficulties on installation. How about noise too--is it too much? The 8.1 has all the power I need for the RV but would like the mileage to improve some. Thanks all

2. BigRobSA

BigRobSA Member

You'll probably need to re-tune the computer for maximum effect both in extra ponies and extra mileage. I know a lot of times (not 8.1L specific) a good tune and CAI will net you 1-2 MPG.

Heck, on my TBSS, after installing the built trans and converter, I retuned it and got 19-20 highway. But, now, after a LOT more stuff, I eeek out 15. :-(

3. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Agreed, you probably won't notice any change because the MAF is calibrated to allow so much airflow into the engine and changing to a CAI isn't going to change the amount of airflow calibration of the MAF. Only a tune will do that.

4. Bluewater

Bluewater Rockstar

Thanks guys. Great info. Does that tune have to be done at a dealer only?

5. BigRobSA

BigRobSA Member

No. Dealers don't tune. You'll have to find either a mail-order tuner that can send you a set of tuned computers and you'll have to send yours back OR get a handheld tuner that can change your truck's tune OR get HP Tuners and either tune it yourself ( not recommended unless you know what you're doing) or have a tuner send you a tune via email to be input via HP Tuners.

6. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Check this out. He did the tune on my rig and I was very impressed.:great:

http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/

7. Mr Dragon

Mr Dragon Rockstar

Tune

Keep in mind that you may get MAF failure indictaor with some CAIs. The CAI model should have some recommended tunes on their website. I would consult with them as well.

8. Bluewater

Bluewater Rockstar

MAF stuck

Thanks for all the great info guys. I really appreciate that. Once it warms up a little I'll try to install the kit again. I tried it a week ago but it was so cold the MAF was stuck tight in the airbox. Maybe the warm will help. If it ever get warm again--help Florida.