Cold air kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bluewater, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Bluewater

Bluewater Rockstar

Santa brought a cold air intake kit for my truck, an 03 GMC 2500HD w/ 8.1 gas & Allison trans. What can I expect for performance improvement and difficulties on installation. How about noise too--is it too much? The 8.1 has all the power I need for the RV but would like the mileage to improve some. Thanks all

2. BigRobSA

BigRobSA Member

You'll probably need to re-tune the computer for maximum effect both in extra ponies and extra mileage. I know a lot of times (not 8.1L specific) a good tune and CAI will net you 1-2 MPG.

Heck, on my TBSS, after installing the built trans and converter, I retuned it and got 19-20 highway. But, now, after a LOT more stuff, I eeek out 15. :-(

3. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Agreed, you probably won't notice any change because the MAF is calibrated to allow so much airflow into the engine and changing to a CAI isn't going to change the amount of airflow calibration of the MAF. Only a tune will do that.

4. Bluewater

Bluewater Rockstar

Thanks guys. Great info. Does that tune have to be done at a dealer only?

5. BigRobSA

BigRobSA Member

No. Dealers don't tune. You'll have to find either a mail-order tuner that can send you a set of tuned computers and you'll have to send yours back OR get a handheld tuner that can change your truck's tune OR get HP Tuners and either tune it yourself ( not recommended unless you know what you're doing) or have a tuner send you a tune via email to be input via HP Tuners.

6. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Check this out. He did the tune on my rig and I was very impressed.:great:

http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/

7. Mr Dragon

Mr Dragon Rockstar

Tune

Keep in mind that you may get MAF failure indictaor with some CAIs. The CAI model should have some recommended tunes on their website. I would consult with them as well.

8. Bluewater

Bluewater Rockstar

MAF stuck

Thanks for all the great info guys. I really appreciate that. Once it warms up a little I'll try to install the kit again. I tried it a week ago but it was so cold the MAF was stuck tight in the airbox. Maybe the warm will help. If it ever get warm again--help Florida.