cold air

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mike41, Jul 1, 2009.

1. mike41

mike41 New Member

Has anyone put a cold air intake on a chevy 5.3. if so did it make a dif

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I put a K&N 77 series on my old 5.3 Silverado, and it didn't do a damn thing. It did make the truck run hotter with the metal tube, but that was about it for me. My honest opinion is that was the biggest waste of $300 I have ever spent, I am now going to do the real ram air thing with my truck through the hood.

3. mehoff400

mehoff400 Rockstar 100 Posts

i did a stage 2 cold air AFE intake noticed a big difference and i love it...but i have exhaust to i think that helps alot then just doing a cold air intake

4. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

if you want the most outta your CAI, you NEED to get full sized exhaust and headers... that will be part of a complete system.

HOWEVER< CAI works best with other parts, and that is what all the parts manufacturers get their HP and Torque numbers from.

CAI on its own is not really a HUGE upgrade... but it does help in mileage.

5. shurshot

shurshot Rockstar 100 Posts

I have had three systems on my last few trucks. My a 2000 5.3 had a K&N setup and seemed to give me more seat of the pants power and better mileage. My 2003 GMC 5.3 had a K&N and it seemed to make no diff in power but had better mileage. My 2004 Reg Cab 5.3 had a Vararam and it seemed to have more power but no diff in gas mileage. All of these trucks had aftermarket exhausts, so it is a gamble at best if you ask me.

Good Luck!

6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I first added the different intake before anything to my truck, the only difference I had was in the upper RPMs. the engine revs just a tad quicker when giving it the nuts at highway speed to pass someone. No increase in mileage though. For me having a suburban I got it were it counts out of the intake, trying to build speed with a 5000lbs truck, every little bit helps

7. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

I noticed more throttle response and better mileage with my K&N. Just make sure you get a plastic tube and not a metal tube.