1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cold Knocking

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ippielb, Nov 2, 2009.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So, i just recently changed my oil for the winter season from amsoil 10w-30 to 5w-30, and now when i start my engine, i can hear a cold knock, it is most noticeable from the front drivers side wheel well, is this my exhaust manifold? Or could it be a even larger problem. I had a code thrown a couple months ago for my knock sensors, but i thought nothing of it because it turned off in 3 days. I still have the knock sensors and the intake gasket, could my knock sensors be the problem?
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Changing the sensors will not have any influence on the cold knock. It could be an exhaust leak, lifter, piston slap. Normally a piston slap can be heard from both wheel wells where an exhaust leak would be louder on the side that was leaking.
  3. ippielb

Well, from the passenger side, i think it's there too, but it's muffled from my cold air intake. I'm thinking it's a lifter, personally, a lot of the chevy trucks we've had, had the loose lifters.
  4. hcm2009

hcm2009 New Member

Hi all!
    I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

b_burdine Rockstar 100 Posts

it's probably piston slap. Mine does it too. Youtube the piston slap and see if that is what it sounds like. It doesn't harm it but if it gets worse it could.
  6. ippielb

It only does it during the cold start, it doesn't do it when it's under load or during acceleration, it does, only until the engine is warm. And then it stops making the knocking.
  7. ippielb

I've noticed, that the last start, it was getting louder, i'm starting to really get worried about this, i don't have another vehicle to get to work, and if something goes, like a piston ring, then i'm pooched.
  8. rdnkchvy2000

rdnkchvy2000 New Member

i had the same problem for years with my truck. it only stopped when i switched to castrol gtx high mileage. i do the same winter swap in the weight also and havent heard it since. hope this helps.