GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

cold start idle hunt

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by a.graham52, May 10, 2013.

1. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

i have a 2002 gmc sierra with a 4.3L 5spd. on some cold mornings ill start it from a cold soak over night and the idle will hunt quite a bit. go from 900 to 300 and back and forth over and over for about 15 seconds or so. thing sounds like its cammed up. i cannot find any vacuum leaks and sprayed the intake with carb cleaner. i had this happen in my 93 w/305 and it was the ignition module in the dizzy. but this doenst have that correct? anyone got any ideas?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Not sure about the 4.3, but some GM engines will act like that if the throttle body is dirty.

You've looked for a vacuum leak, probably checked the hoses; did you consider the intake manifold gasket. A leak there would act like (because it is) a vacuum leak.
  3. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

The tb is clean, and I sprayed around the intake with carb cleaner and no leak appeared. The only thing I haven't got a possitive idea of is the back of the block. I'll have to look at that tomorrow.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Propane (a torch) is a good tool to test for a leak in an intake manifold. Needless to say, use a little caution.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

You could possibly have a leak at the MAP sensor, It is located between the firewall and the back of the intake manifold. It is a plastic sensor, BUT it has a rubber seal on the nipple that sticks into the manifold. On my truck that seal ripped, and was letting excess air in. This is a huge problem, as this will effect the A/F ratio and make it run erratic.
  6. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

ill check it out. i think i found the problem though. i removed the IAC and cleaned/lubed it and stuck it back in. havnt had any issues in 4 days.