Cold starting issue!

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by FireRed, Dec 13, 2008.

1. FireRed

FireRed Rockstar 100 Posts

i have a 97 Sub that is a pain to start when cold but runs super, any ideas well appreciated!

2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Cold air temp sensor could be out of range.

3. FireRed

Thanks for your reply! No all I need to do is figure out where it is located and change it out.

Phil

4. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Cold air temp should set off the check engine light. Might also be the fuel pump relay. If it goes bad, the fuel pump wont come on until the oil pressure comes up, which result in a long "cranking" session. Can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when you turn on the key?

5. FireRed

I hear the pump kick in witht he key it seems to pressurize pretty quick under 10 seconds, also it runs great just is cranky when its is cold 3o degrees or less. In 45-50 it only turns about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and it is running, very quick start.

Phil

6. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

7. smainsw

smainsw Rockstar

You might also want to look at how many cold cranking amps your battery is rated at, also if your battery is getting old it might not be able to supply the necessary current to turn over your engine in the cold mornings, however 30 degrees really isn't all that cold to be having issues starting your truck from battery related issues, but hey you never know.

8. FireRed

Thanks so much for the quick replies, here is where it stands right now. New cap,wires, rotor and frame rail fuel filter about 7-8,000 miles back. Due to the hard starts I killed a two year old battery and now have a few week old 850 cold crank in it, my 02 sub pops of no matter what but this, now my fair weather friend is getting to me. When it is krappy out I would rather drive the 97 and leave the 02 home. What gets me is how great it runs when warm, and even gets better mileage then the 02 though it has near triple the miles on it.

Again thanks for your thoughts on this!

Phil

9. smainsw

smainsw Rockstar

wow, you would think the 02 would get better mileage, both have the same size engine?

10. FireRed

The 97 is a 5.7 Vortec and the 02 is a 5.3 Flex fuel, if I am driving easy like 65 on cruise the 5.7 does better. Some of the difference may be the 97 is much lower and has stock smaller tires, the 02 is about 5 inches higher and the stock tires are quite a bit bigger. I think the older one pushes through the wind better giving me better mileage. I swapped rubber on one of my 4X4's years back to some bigger ones and lost 4 miles to a gallon, big rubber alone costs a lot more then the initial buying price.

Phil