Cold weather and Batteries ? What and where do I start the search ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by JTWard, Mar 3, 2014.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I need to replace my 1990 Chevy C1500 and it's a 5.0 liter 305 ci engine. I couldn't find any information in the owners manual as a what battery that came with the truck new except that it was a "Freedom" type battery. I wanted to replace the current battery with one slightly stronger just to get pass the resistance in the wiring. Any where that I can do this ?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=61229]JTWard[/MENTION], the standard battery group for the GM fullsize trucks is a 34, or a 78 (sometimes called a 34/78). The group designation encompasses the physical sizes and the pos/neg terminal locations.

There are a number of different amp hr and cold cranking sizes available for that grouping.

Here is a start: http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/bci-battery-group-sizes.html

3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

If you have the stock battery cables you need a group 78 battery; you can use a combined group 34/78 battery that will also have top terminals but in general these tend to be of poorer quality. As to brand etc it all depends on what's available locally for you. I sometimes get batteries at the big-box retail stores, walmart, costco, menards, etc but they do not always have what I need -- none of them are really in the battery business and they just have a display that is refilled by a vendor who comes every week or so.

The stock battery is more than sufficient especially for a 5.0.

4. JTWard

Well , I don't want to have top posts, they just double the chance of shorting out on my truck, Maybe a Delco battery with 700? CCA and a reserve of 95 ? Does that sound like my best choice, or do other manufactures make a side mount only battery as well ????

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

almost every company makes side mounts. Autozone or any parts store will carry them. If you are buying one from a big parts store I recommend autozones battery, they are made by the same company that make diehard. Deka batteries and interstate are also good in my opinion. I would not buy another advanceautoparts battery.

6. JTWard

SANY0408.jpg SANY0185.jpg :sign0023:Yeah, Thank you. Interstate is a good battery, and they make a "Megatrom" Plus 75. They list it as being made to fit my Silverado and for a 305 V8 and it doesn't have any top posts. Cost is around $130.00 but any of the decent batteries are in the same ballpark ?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, who are we now? Hmmmmmmm [​IMG]

I'll get it in a min, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm