Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Cold weather and Batteries ? What and where do I start the search ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by JTWard, Mar 3, 2014.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I need to replace my 1990 Chevy C1500 and it's a 5.0 liter 305 ci engine. I couldn't find any information in the owners manual as a what battery that came with the truck new except that it was a "Freedom" type battery. I wanted to replace the current battery with one slightly stronger just to get pass the resistance in the wiring. Any where that I can do this ?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=61229]JTWard[/MENTION], the standard battery group for the GM fullsize trucks is a 34, or a 78 (sometimes called a 34/78). The group designation encompasses the physical sizes and the pos/neg terminal locations.

There are a number of different amp hr and cold cranking sizes available for that grouping.

Here is a start: http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/bci-battery-group-sizes.html

3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

If you have the stock battery cables you need a group 78 battery; you can use a combined group 34/78 battery that will also have top terminals but in general these tend to be of poorer quality. As to brand etc it all depends on what's available locally for you. I sometimes get batteries at the big-box retail stores, walmart, costco, menards, etc but they do not always have what I need -- none of them are really in the battery business and they just have a display that is refilled by a vendor who comes every week or so.

The stock battery is more than sufficient especially for a 5.0.

4. JTWard

Well , I don't want to have top posts, they just double the chance of shorting out on my truck, Maybe a Delco battery with 700? CCA and a reserve of 95 ? Does that sound like my best choice, or do other manufactures make a side mount only battery as well ????

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

almost every company makes side mounts. Autozone or any parts store will carry them. If you are buying one from a big parts store I recommend autozones battery, they are made by the same company that make diehard. Deka batteries and interstate are also good in my opinion. I would not buy another advanceautoparts battery.

6. JTWard

SANY0408.jpg SANY0185.jpg :sign0023:Yeah, Thank you. Interstate is a good battery, and they make a "Megatrom" Plus 75. They list it as being made to fit my Silverado and for a 305 V8 and it doesn't have any top posts. Cost is around $130.00 but any of the decent batteries are in the same ballpark ?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, who are we now? Hmmmmmmm [​IMG]

I'll get it in a min, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm