Colly Care, removing odors ie: smoke...

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by AnsteyZ71, Mar 23, 2007.

1. AnsteyZ71

AnsteyZ71 New Member

Hey guys when I bought my 2004 Colorado it's previous owner was a smoker and the dealer masked it with something. But now I can start smelling the odor again. Does anyone have any good Colly care tips that would help remove the odors?

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

New car smell will mask it for a while, it’s a spray or drops that are available at most Wal Marts, or parts stores.

As far as getting rid of it, have the interior detailed and tell them before what you are trying to get rid of, they may have something.

I will bet the smell is in the headliner, not a simple thing, or cheap to replace. Also not easy to get smells out of.

Good luck.

Simple green can eliminate some smells if used but seeing it is cigarette smoke in the headliner I’m not sure it will help.

Being smokers ourselves it really doesn’t bother us.

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You'll also find that the smell is in the heating vents. You've got a challenge ahead of you. In time that will go away, or at least you'll just get used to it.

Good luck!

4. AnsteyZ71

AnsteyZ71 New Member

Thanks guys, I'm going to detail her this weekend. I'll try what you guys suggested and let you know how it goes. I just read somewhere that if I spray a bleach/water mixture or 2-3% into the vent intake and run them fullout it will help kill the odor in there. Have you ever heard anything like this before.

5. TrailLeadr

Never heard that one. I suppose it could work.
    Myself, I'd try febreeze in the vents first. I don't mind the smell of bleach, but it could become as offensive as the smoke, if the bleach smell lingers too long.

6. quickzilverado

quickzilverado Rockstar

I'd spray some type of carpet cleaner or simple green mix onto the head liner and use some elbox grease, then vacuum it off. Do it again if needed. I've noticed stuff that masks the smell will wear away but stuff that will actually CLEAN should keep the smell away. Also w/ the vents, they will eventually get clean on their own the more you use em. That bleach mixture seems like a good idea, I'll have to try that on my truck. My truck was a smoker's truck too but I've gotten it out mostly (they smoked w/ the window open so it wasnt too bad).

7. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Is there a cabin filter in a collie? If so Change. My Pontiac Vibe I had had one made a huge difference.

8. TrailLeadr

Good advice!:great:

9. AnsteyZ71

AnsteyZ71 New Member

Thanks for your help guys and the advice on the cabin filter sounds great. But does the 2004 Colly have a Cabin filter? If so where is it and how do I change it?

10. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'll ask my Dad tonight. I only drove it once and I was too busy beating the crap out it :lol: