Color matched tails.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sstoner911, Jul 12, 2012.

1. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

So I got bored with my tail lights and while I was at the paint store picking up supplies I had them mix up some tint to color match the taillights.

The tint is a mixture of binder and the color code off the truck. The ratio is about 15:1 to its pretty translucent plus I thinned it a bit also.
    Then after testing the visibility I decided..why stop and tinting them? Why dip them in a clear/silver Carbon fiber?

Well I layed down some clear coat on it today. I will post some pics of it on the truck tomorrow or so...its humid here right now so I may allow the clear to harden up an extra day.

And for those of you have questions on if its legal....depends on your state. Arizona law ony requires your taillights to be visible from 500 ft...doesnt regulate whats covering them.

Attached Files:

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

That looks cool. Post some pics when you get them installed!!

3. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

WOW, I really like that but, is it street legal? I thought they had to be red and black out had some kind of exception. Could you do in white?

4. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They are legal in Arizona as long as the color of the light when illuminated is red. The lens color does not matter.

I thought it was 500 ft but its only 100ft. So as long as you dont go to dark you should be good provided your state doesnt have any goofy restrictions. The carbon fiber film I used is clear with the silver CF design.

Here is how they turned out. The pic with the turn signal on doesnt do the illumination justice - its brighter than the pic.(last pic)

The first pic is with no lights on.

Second pic is parking lights only.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  5. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

That's some nice work, sir. :great:

6. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

That is AWESOME! You sir, have an excellent looking truck.

7. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Those look really good. I'd be concerned about their legality in certain places though. For example, up here in Alberta, there is also no law about tinting or covering your tail lights, but the law does state that the tail lights must be visible from 150m (492 ft) and that the stoplights must be visible from 250m (820 ft).

So, bottom line I guess is that anyone who is interested in this should familiarize themselves with their local laws and make sure that they keep their lights bright enough to comply. The same would go for those who tint their lights.

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

While I am neither an attorney nor an expert in various state vehicular laws, I've looked up tail light laws for several US states as I was considering blacking mine out at one point (and then decided it was overdone ... so I didn't do it). What I found was that states seemed to have a colour requirement on the brake lights (red) and might have a minimum visible distance for them (500ft) ... day or night.

I've not seen a minimum visible distance requirement that was less than 500 ft for any of the states I was looking at, so that might be a floor for the distance in the US? From a safety angle during the day (and also at night, but especially during the day) I know I wouldn't want the brake lights to NOT be visible at less than that distance, myself -- as that'd increase the chances of someone rear-ending me.

@sstoner911, have you checked the daytime distance at which those are clearly visible to an observer behind you -- using an unbiased third party as the judge? I'm not asking from a legal standpoint -- I'm asking from a personal safety of your ride standpoint. If not you might want to ... just to find out how far behind you they are, in fact, visible during high sunlight daytime activity ... so that you know how much or little wiggle room there is, behind you, in an emergency stopping type of situation.

9. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

To each his own. Looks like a clean job, though!

10. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin Rockstar 100 Posts

Awesome license plate haha