Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Color matched tails.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sstoner911, Jul 12, 2012.

1. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had my wife go maybe 200 ft and she said it was visible during the day. This was after redoing the taillight one time. The first time I used 3 coats of tint and my wife was quick to tell me it was too dark. The second time I only put down 2 coats. It was much brighter the second time around. Believe me she would be the first to tell me if it was not visible.

I certainly dont want to be rear ended due to them being not visible enough - that only puts me and the other driver at risk.

As you can see I had "smoked" tails and I have never had any issues with them. However, the real test will be having a few cops behind me and seeing how they feel about.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yea getting rear-ended if they're not visible enough would be my primary worry. Having an actual test for 500 feet with a human being would also help you anticipate how cops might feel about it ... but it's only good for that (anticipation). If one doesn't like it and s/he harasses you, it is what it is. (Me, I'd want to know before that had the potential to happen if I was legal or not ... and it sounds like you've done your local homework on the laws.)

3. sstoner911

Took a trip to Phoenix Sunday and had some other people following. The color matched tail was easily visible during the day.Our seems the farther away you are the CF pattern seems to let more light through if that makes sense.

So all in all from a safety stand point the color tint along with the hydrographics shouldn't be an issue.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Excellent!

5. Gunnin4U6754

Gunnin4U6754 Member ROTM Winner

I don't want to step on your toe's here sstoner911, but AZ Law requires that you have reflectors on your truck and your tail lights (factory) have reflectors built into them.(either in them or in the plastic material they use when fabricating them). I would just hate for you to get popped by a "tail light chaser" (Highway Patrol) and get a ticket for not having the reflectors mounted somewhere to the rear of the vehicle. Just a thought.....

6. sstoner911

Your taking about ars 28-929....that applies to trucks over 80 inches on width...tractor trailer s or tractors.

7. Gunnin4U6754

Here is the Arizona Revised Statute (ARS) that shows what I was getting at with the reflectors. Again, I don't mean to get into any pissing match with you, and I for sure don't want to get on the wrong side of anyone, I'm just looking out for the forum individuals living in AZ.

28-926. New motor vehicles; reflectors
    A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, a new motor vehicle sold and operated on a highway, other than a truck tractor, shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, either:
    1. Two red reflectors that comply with this section.
    2. If it is a motorcycle or a motor driven cycle, at least one reflector that complies with this section.
    B. A vehicle of the type provided in section 28-929 shall be equipped with reflectors as required in that section.
    C. A reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height of not less than twenty inches nor more than sixty inches measured as provided in section 28-923, subsection B and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within three hundred feet to fifty feet from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps, except that visibility from a greater distance is required of reflectors on certain types of vehicles.

8. sstoner911

I dont think that ARS could even apply to ALL motor vehicles as there are OEM taillights that DO NOT even have reflectors not to mention the aftermarket ones that dont have reflectors.

From my conversations with DPS you just need to see the tails when the are illuminated from the required distance and it has to be red in color. I originally smoked the tails with black when I bought the truck in 08 and they were to dark and I did get pulled over. He told me to simply lighten them up so that you could see the red from the required distance.
    If you dont apply to many coats of the candy your ok.

Guys smoke the tails all the time with no problems...color matching is the same think just with a color other than black. I guess if that ARS was brought up I would ask them to define what a NEW motor vehicle means...Does that mean right off the lot? But after that its not new, its used once I drive it off the lot right? The truck is 4 years old - thats not new....

That ARS is vague at best...probably why they don't bother with it. Hell I have seen guys with rat rods with no reflectors on the tails and they dont get any grief.

It comes down to this - if you like it, you arent scared of cops, do it.

If you dont like it - dont do it. Its been 2 months and that truck is driven daily both day and night. I have been in Phoenix and Tucson and in between...no LEO has made a big deal out of it.

I did these tails in the picture for a guys charger - we were going to put a red candy over them to match his paint job but he ended up liking them without the candy.

So, we can do the tails both ways - we can hydro dip them and either apply color or not.

28-939. Signal lamps and devices
    A. A motor vehicle may be equipped and if required under this article shall be equipped with the following:
    1. A stop lamp on the rear that emits a red or yellow light, that is actuated on application of the service or foot brake and that may be incorporated with a tail lamp.
    2. One or more lamps or a mechanical signal device that is capable of clearly indicating an intention to turn either to the right or to the left and that is visible both from the front and rear.
    B. A stop lamp shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of one hundred feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime. A signal lamp or lamps indicating the intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of one hundred feet both to the front and rear. If a vehicle is equipped with a stop lamp or other signal lamps, the lamp or lamps shall:
    1. Be maintained at all times in good working condition.
    2. Not project a glaring or dazzling light.
    C. A mechanical signal device shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times provided in section 28-922.

28-927. Stop lamps
    A person shall not sell a new motor vehicle, including a motorcycle or motor driven cycle, in this state and shall not drive a vehicle on the highways unless it is equipped with a stop lamp that meets the requirements of section 28-939.

28-939 doesnt even mention reflectors....

Your going to get opinions on certain MODS and if its legal - hell even adding HID to stock light housings is questionable - is it legal? Some argue no some say yes...

Attached Files:

9. Gunnin4U6754

I hear ya sstoner... I was just putting my 2 cents in on hat I knew ARS stated. I have a good friend who is a DPS motor cop and he was telling me about them if I smoked out my tail lights. I'm not trying to create any wars here just tossing out that idea.

What do u charge to smoke out tail lights ?

10. sstoner911

No worries..throw em out there! Ism not prefect so its good to get other info.

If someone wants to do the tails I charge between 50 and 90 bucks..just depends on what you want.