Colorado blower switch problem

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by rider89, Jun 1, 2009.

1. rider89

rider89 New Member

Hello,
    new member here....
    '05 Colorado 94k miles.
    The blower switch suddenly lost speeds 1 thru 3. Speed 4 seems normal and the A/C works like it's supposed to.
    Likely the switch itself or some type of resisters involved ?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The first thing to check is the resistor which is mounted on the HVAC case. When they go bad you usually will have the high speed only.

3. rider89

rider89 New Member

Does getting to it require taking the dashboard apart ?

thanks,
    bill

4. Jimmiee

No the resistor is located on the outside of the HVAC case. Have you tried looking for it yet?

5. rider89

rider89 New Member

I think I found it. The wiring harness has white, orange, blue, tan? into a straight black connector which plugs into a white nylon socket, near the blower motor. The white part is the resistor, I suppose ?
    Also, I noticed that the orange lead in the black connector looks like it has overheated. Is this typical of a resistor failure ?
    Thanks,
    Bill

6. Jimmiee

Yes it is. If you check it with your ohm meter you will probably find the circuit open.

7. rider89

rider89 New Member

I ordered a resistor and a couple other things yesterday.
    Funny thing is, yesterday I disconnected that wiring harness fitting from the resistor to look it over.
    This morning, I just fired up the truck and the silly blower works on all speeds!
    Almost like really low voltage computer devices, unplug replug and they magically start working again.
    I suppose I'll replace the resistor anyway when the part arrives.
    Thanks again for the help,
    Bill

8. Jimmiee

Glad you got it working.

9. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

be sure to check your plug for shorting thats what did my silverados resistors in.