Colorado Ground Strap problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by saruthstrom, Sep 27, 2010.

1. saruthstrom

saruthstrom New Member

I have 07 Colorado. Today I went over a bump and instrument panel went blank. When I came out to go to lunch, there was very low voltage on the battery. Upon taking battery to have it tested, the clerk told me that Chevys were having ground strap problems and that there was a recall on them. My local service adviser said he did not think he had seen a recall notice. Anyone out there have this problem? Also, can't find the ground strap between the block and frame. Any ideas?

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! I do not have the answer, but I am sure someone does here....

3. tomtina1

tomtina1 New Member

Problem is similar with my 07 suburban with the instrument panel going blank driving over a bump.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have a buddy who has a 2004 Chevy Colorado, and he had the exact same problem. The grounding strap is connected at the negative battery terminal, and runs down to the bottom of the battery box. The problem is that the battery box was painted before they hooked the groundstrap up, so the groundng strap is actually touching a nice thick layer of black factory paint! Take a dremel or something and grind that paint off of the grounding point on the battery box, and that should fix your problem. Several other Colorado owners he knows also did this and it worked, won't hurt to take a look at it anyways.

5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts