Colorado Passenger Seatbelt Chime Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by hyperkiper11, Feb 1, 2009.

1. hyperkiper11

hyperkiper11 New Member

Hey Guys! I have an 06' Colorado Z71 extended cab. My passenger seat has a sensor so that when someone sits in it, the airbag and seatbelt indicator turns on. Problem is even if the person buckles up the chime continues to sound and the little seatbelt icon flashes...VERY ANNOYING!!...anybody have this problem or know what to do?

2. nvestysly

nvestysly Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have a similar problem on my 2005 Suburban passenger seat. I was searching the forum hoping to find a solution. I'm going to take a look under the seat to see what kind of connectors I can find. Maybe there will be some obvious wires coming from the seat belt and I can simply disconnect those or otherwise bypass them. I think what's going on with mine (and maybe yours) is the seat belt receptacle has a sensor in it and it's not working.

I realize this is an old thread but thought I would reply anyway. If I find some useful information I'll post it here.

3. nvestysly

I found a two-pin connector under the passenger seat. The wires appear to come from the seat belt receptacle but it's hard to say for sure. There's not much room under the seat to poke around. With all the electric motors and such it's pretty crowded under there. I'll drive the vehicle later today and see if disconnecting the wires turned off the seat belt chime.

4. nvestysly

Disconnecting that particular connector didn't do anything. It may or may not be the correct connector.

With the wires disconnected, everything else seems to work. Seat moves, no warning lights on the dash. Only the seat belt chime - in this vehicle it chimes twice - first when you start driving a few hundred yards, then a second time after a mile or two. Fortunately it only chimes twice.

If this is the seat belt connector it seems like I may need to jumper across the pins rather than disengage the connector. I'm presuming when the seat belt is properly inserted and the contact is working correctly, the contacts close on the switch. Seems like this would be akin to jumpering the wires, not disconnecting them. I'll do a little more digging to see what I come up with.

My apologies to the OP, I didn't originally intend to hijack your thread.

5. nvestysly

The two-pin connector I referred to above is green. As I said, that's not the right connector.

So I did a little more digging around under the seat, boy it's hard to get my hands under there, and found the connector from the seat belt buckle. I disconnected the passenger side and the driver side.

Since the driver side works I used that as my baseline. With the seatbelt disconnected, there is continuity between the two pins. When the seat belt is inserted into the buckle it breaks the continuity.

Now on the passenger side. With the seatbelt disconnected, there is continuity. With the seatbelt inserted into the buckle there is still continuity. So I think I've identified the problem. I left this connector disconnected - that will break continuity - so I should have stopped the seat belt chime.

There is a chance that disconnecting the wires will not work. For instance, if the circuit is looking for a particular resistance through the switch, or something like that.

I've also requested information from GM Parts Direct. Maybe I'll order a new passenger buckle from them if it's reasonably priced.