1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

column shifter not in sync with transmission, how do I adjust or fix?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bradyjames, Jul 3, 2010.

1. bradyjames

bradyjames New Member

I have a 1989 GMC Sierra c2500. My column shifter is not in sync with my transmission. When it shows park its really in neutral, etc. How can I fix this problem? This happened when I accidentally changed gears while I was replacing my ignition switch.

All help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

year make and model is needed. You should build your signature to include this info, just makes it easier for everyone to help diagnose

3. chancek31

chancek31 New Member

I had a truck that was doing that. For mine, there were some loose bolts on the gear selector under the dash on the steering column about where the brake pedal is. Once I tightened the bolts up, it started to find all gears again. That was on a Ford, so I don't know if chevys are the same.

Hope I could help.

4. bradyjames

bradyjames New Member

Thanks guys! I have a 1989 GMC Sierra c2500. Sorry I forgot that important info in the first post. I will work on my signature too.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  5. bradyjames

bradyjames New Member

update!: i solved my own problem. turns out my transmission was aligned with the column shifter, I just had to attach the cable with the clip at the end to the steering column. once I did that I shifted into 1st/low gear and shifted back into park and the indicator seemed to align itself with the proper gear. by adjusting the cable with the clip you can also get your gear indicator centered just right over your gears listed on the column P R N D D2 L (think that is correct order)