common problems 1999 Suburban 350 CID 5.7L

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by markf1971, Jan 16, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. markf1971

markf1971 New Member

Despite extensive searching and lots of hours reading posts I have yet to find a list of common problem for the 1999 Suburban. Or at least the 96-99 Burbs with the Vortec 350. Basically the only common problem that I have seen mentioned is the intake gasket. Surely there is more than just the intake gasket that seems to fail on these Burbs.

I read on consumerguideauto.com that the intakes were a problem thru 1998. Below is the excerpt from their site:

Oil leak: Oil loss and fouled spark plugs result from intake manifold gasket leaks. (1996-98)

Did they fix the intake problem on the 99 models or is it the same as on the previous years?

Also, could anyone list for me other common problems associated with these models (96-99)?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member 100 Posts

I believe the fuel pump is a common failure item.

The other complaint I've seen is brakes, but then I think that is because the vehicle didn't come with adequate brakes from the factory. The 2000+ Burbs have lot better factory brakes.

Not sure if it is mentioned but engine oil cooler lines possibly? I bought mine with low miles and I was leaking oil from the cooler lines. The guy in the shop seemed to mention it was a common issue. Less than 100k on my odometer when I experienced that problem.
  3. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member 100 Posts

The most common things I see and have replaced on all 96-99 obs trucks and suv's

1) Intake Gaskets
    2)Fuel Pump
    3)Heater hose fitting on manifold-factory is aluminum needs to be changed to steel aftermarket
    4)Flush pink radiator fluid and go back to green-pink **** actually eats away aluminum which causes failure of #3 and other engine components which can result in an overheat
    5)Distributor gear wearing causing "play" in the timing

This is all I can think of that seem to be everyday repairs at the shop with these trucks. You have all of the common issues alos but the majority of them are inexpensive easy fixes for a do it yourselfer.
  4. azdrtdog

azdrtdog New Member 100 Posts

X2 on tattoo's list and definetly dump the pink stuff factory uses it to seal any leaks that happen during build( It co-wag-ulates) Dont spell check I just sounded it out. Anyway the fuel pump gets loud and they go at different times but they go out and the fuel pressure regulator diaphram cracks and causes hard starting due to raw fuel being sucked into maifold from vac. line
  5. azdrtdog

azdrtdog New Member 100 Posts

Its the O ring on the tanks that would be #6 good call CADDIAC
  6. Gryphon

Gryphon Member 100 Posts

I've had my 99 for two years now, put 30k miles on it (120k now). I've done the fuel pump twice and the new AC Delco part still sings. They apparently didn't do the sender too as my fuel gauge shudders still. I found this thread by looking up the aforementioned radiator issue. I just found my slow leak...left side tank O ring. Also time for tie rod ends...was told they are a weak link. I also definitely agree with the weak factory brakes.

I researched the fuel pump issue and it seems to be a case of incorrect wire gauge choice. I'm planning to build a new harness with heavier gauge wire.
  7. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

the fuel gauge shudder is most likely the cluster not the fuel sender. as for me I have replaced my pump once at 110,000 miles and the intake gasket went around 85000, other then that its just nromal stuff for an 11 year old truck with 127000
  8. tm4hammer1

tm4hammer1 New Member

common probs.

my 96 2500 w/ the multiport 454 hasnt seen any problems other than the one caused by the former owner other than as noted before the brakes should be upgraded and the coolant flushed and changed back to the green i have read some bad things about the orange w/ major sludge buildup in the engine and radiator along with gasket and sealant detieriation by the way for a sealant that will hold up against these problems toyotas sealant seems to be the best in doing so! so i have read in the case study on this crap... seems like a bad deal all around and the only thing they can promote is not harmful to pets and wildlife well a loose dog or cat is just that and bambi sux:gasp: not that i leave it sitting around or am irresponsible disposing of it just that i dont loose any sleep over the tree huggers and momma's little fluffys when compared to my powerplant and cooling system oh well lifes a bigblackburb
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  9. I12 Foot

I12 Foot New Member

I have a 99 2wd with 202,000 miles on it. I have had all of the things listed repaired and some of them twice (intake gaskets went at around 90,000 the first time and 198,000 the second time). Radiator replaced at around 100,000 and still going strong. I would have to agree that the weakest link in the front brakes. They are just not beefy enough for such a large vehicle. In the front suspension the pitman arm seems to be the week link in my experience. I have had two suburbans from these years and both wore out pitman arms before any of the other suspension parts wore out.
  10. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I bought my 1998 2wd 1500 with 195000 miles- has 212,000 now-2.75 years later.
    Been a great vehicle-changed
    Shocks
    Radiator
    Brake booster
    water pump
    intake manifold gaskets
    Previous Owner
    rebuilt trans
    redid all AC stuff

Get 21 mpg on long hy trips- no complaints here-great trip and dog(2) cat(4) human(3) evacuation vehicle.
    Cheap too $2950.- The parts are easy to find and they are cheap too.
    You could do a lot worse than a 1996-99 Suburban.The brakes aren't great, but you get accustomed to them.Cheapo brake pads-$15.95 autozone- seem to give the best braking for some reason.

Luck
    Charlie