1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Complete Truck Bed Seal...

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by FlyBye, Nov 25, 2011.

1. FlyBye

FlyBye New Member

I am trying to seal up my truck bed to keep out dust, water and wind. I have seen several options via the web, but none appear to shine over the others. I'm interested what others have done to correct the "Wholly Bed Syndrome".

My rig is a 2011 Silverado with a truck cap and BedRug (not yet installed) that will be used for camping. I know that the BedRug is waterproof... but my sleeping bag and gear are not.

Thanks,
    FlyBye

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. pilotj

pilotj New Member

I just order the "Access Total Bed Seal Kit". Havn't got it yet, but I'll let you know how well it works. Includes just about everything to seal the bed up as tight as feasibly possible.

3. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Extruded Solutions, Inc.

I just received a canopy seal, extra wide, and a seal for the tailgate from Extruded Solutions, Inc. They are in MN and make the products. No Imports for me.

I have a Leer Canopy and a Bedrug. Yes, there is water leakage. You cannot make it water tight. Buy a camper if you want water tight.

The tailgate seals may or may not seal out your water. You have to actually get inside your truck with the canopy mounted, have someone run water over the top and down the side of the canopy, starting at the front, working around each side but only do the front first, then the corner, then along the side. See if any water leaks in. If none does, then you only have to worry about the tailgate. \

Problem is there is "one size fits all" in seals for tailgate areas, and each truck even within a production run can have a variation in the gap between the tailgate and the bed. However, this company seems good, so I will try to repost after I get the seal on the canopy bottom and the seal on the tail gate area. If I can exclude most moisture, I will be satisfied. I don't expect to keep it all out.

4. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Check that. Extruded Solutions is in Carol Stream, IL.

5. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

Berry Interesstink!! PILOTJ and FLYBYE have aviatoion names. One has 1 post the other has 4, and FLYBYE has no profile. They mention a specific bed sealer and wait to see how it works out. I bet it's VERY successful.

6. pilotj

pilotj New Member

LOL...Didn't notice that. As for the "pilotj"......my name is Jay Pilot. My wife has "T Pilot" on her licence plates, and is always getting asked what kind of plane she pilots..lol. New to this forum. I've always beem in C/K forums elsewhere with my old '79 C20 I've been driving for the past 20 some years until I inherited My father in laws '09 Silverado.

7. FlyBye

FlyBye New Member

I hope you are not implying that PILOTJ and myself are the same individual...or that we are linked with the purpose of promoting a product... because that would be false on both accounts! Furthermore, you are apparently assuming that the handle "FlyBye" is related to avionics... Sounds like the fella that assumed that a fellow with a "Goldwing" was a pilot verses owning a Goldwing motorcycle...

In the world of forums, it's an insult to suggest, imply or out-right say to someone. I don't know your motive, I hope it's pure and is an honest mistake...either on your side (your comment) or my misunderstanding. Either way it would be easy for a Moderator or the Site Owner to check and see if the posts are even coming from the same area.

My Chevy Silverado is new and is the first truck I have ever owned and my one post was only because I couldn't find the answer to my question when searching. Thanks for the warm welcome Billnorman!

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Thanks for the reply. That is one of the top two that I am looking at. The ATBS is the only one that seals up the top sides. It is a bit pricey, but I did locate a different one that is only about $12, but it is only for the tailgate itself. Let me know how it works after a rain.

FlyBye

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Thanks for the post, I have not even seen that option while searching... I'm looking at it now...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  8. pilotj

pilotj New Member

Yep, I kind of figured billnorman was implying I (and you) were trolls. I just let it go. It seems as though any time you mention a specific product on some forums, they think you trying to plug a product. Thats why I don't post a whole lot.....just read through the post's to get the info I'm looking for. I've left other forum's in the past for the same reasons (athough none related to any of my post's). I'm just not into the "accusing" type of people. Great forum otherwise! I've found a lot of great info from these members.

9. FlyBye

FlyBye New Member

The funny thing is that I didn't even mention a specific product (other thanChevy and BedRug) in my original post. I did say that "none appear toshine over the others (product)", You wouldn't have to be a marketinggenus to realize that wouldn't be a statement to solicit a sale. Instead itsuggests it doesn't appear to be a big difference in the products... (a recipefor meritocracy maybe). Others did mention specific products, in which I amgrateful because that is what I posted it for... to get information from folkswho have solved the problem of water coming into the truck bed even with aquality cap installed.

Water coming in wouldn't be a concern if I didn't have a carpeted cap and planon using the truck bed to camp in, but I am. I know that water-in will resultin ripe stagnate water residue setting under the BedRug.

Pilotj or anyone else, when you do install the foam(?) under the side rails, let me know howyou think it will work. (tight fit, will it slide down in-between the panels,any other/better options) Thanks

10. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

Yes I have seen "trollers" too. That was a nice personal note from PilotJ and he says it is just a coincidence. I thought so too. It is what it is I hope he doesn't take it personal, life's too short. Let's assume it is legitimate. Good luck on keeping water out.