Component speakers installation

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Alexschiltz, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Alexschiltz

Alexschiltz New Member

Hello all,

this is my first post in here and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I am replacing the speakers in my 03 silverado ls. The truck already had a woofer and tweeter in each door so I went out and bought a nice componet system to replace them. The set comes with a crossover to split the frequencies between the two speakers. My question is whether or not there is already a crossover somewhere that was splitting the frequencies to the old speakers. If so I need to find it and take it ou so I can hook up the new crossover. If any of you have any info on this it would be greatly appreciated. Also, how did you choose to mount the tweeter inside the speaker grill?

Thanks everyone,

Alex

2. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

In my truck, i just used the speaker wire going to the woofers as the wire. Theres no factory crossover that i'm aware of. So you just use the factory speaker wire, plug that into the crossover then speaker wire going to your tweeter and woofer. Also as for mounting the crossover, I used double sided tape and mounted it inside the door towards the bottom inside the door, just below the woofer. Hope this helps.

3. Alexschiltz

Alexschiltz New Member

So did you just leave the stock tweeter wire hanging then? Also did you have to drill into the door frame while mounting the woofer?

4. Alexschiltz

Alexschiltz New Member

Update

I got the components in and hooked up. They sound great. The only tricky part was mounting the tweeter. I had to make a little bracket that fit inside the existing tweeter cut out. I mounted the crossover on the inside of the door panel behind the bottom storage slot.