1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by topher91, Feb 1, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. topher91

topher91 New Member

Hey guys,

I am a longtime lurker and new member :)

I recently purchased a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. I was reading online and saw that the 6.0L vortec 6000 engines came with the ability to use compressed natural gas (CNG).

I have this setup, and I am wondering if my truck has this capability. Is there any way to find out for sure? I bought it used and do not have the options list and I don't know much about natural gas systems. I have a station that pumps CNG close to my home at about half the cost of gasoline and could use the break on fuel costs.

Any ideas on what to look for? Does the 6L automatically accept CNG as a gas substitute? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My understanding was the trucks tuned to use CNG came with a package that included the CNG tank, filler port, and associated lines to the engine.
    But either way a vin search of your vehicle should reveal all.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I thought its one or the other not both like E85 capable, I would think the engines run at a different compression rate for the natty gas. But it would for sure have to have a special tank for natty gas

4. tbplus10

Yep, you cant switch back and forth from CNG.
    He's more than likely got a gasoline engine.

5. SilveradoBrett

SilveradoBrett Rockstar

I don't know if you correct on that tim. I remember hearing about them trying to put out a system that used CNG and gasoline. Most 3/4 tons have dual tanks anyway and I think they just replaced on of them to be CNG. I believe the motor can run on both because the CNG requires a high pressure and hot spark to fire just like the diesel. The only way to know for sure is to see if you have a high pressure fitting for CNG. I have driven vehicles with CNG fuel systems and have all had a high pressure fitting that the CNG nozzle at the pump went into and then you twisted it to tighten it up to fuel. But I have not seen one that runs both diesel and CNG but I think they might have got a system to actually work. But then again I may be living in a fantasy dream world where anything is possible.

6. tbplus10

After searching every GM website I could find and calling an aunt of mine that worked at the Arlington, Tx. GM assembly plant until recently I couldnt find anything that stated a dual fueled engine was or wasnt available. There's information that A CNG only fueled engine was an option but it was only available in certain regions, theres nothing designating where those regions are.
    My aunt said she saw very few CNG powered trucks come off the assembly line in Arlington so maybe the majority of them were made at another plant.

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can however get propane injection for diesels similar to a N02 setup, it helps with a more effective burn for the diesel, but no i have never found a setup that is "either or" for gas then CNG

8. tbplus10

Yea but propane injection isnt a factory option.
    I dont know why it isnt, we run it on all five of our hotshot haulers it reduced our fuel consumption by about 20% and all the trucks feel like they have more power. Propane injection works real well if you use an adjustable propane regulator and a Pyrometer. But different manufactured engines react much differently to propane injection.

9. poncho08

poncho08 Rockstar 100 Posts

u could go with propane injection but i worked with a guy that had a water meth injection sit up on his truck. said he had milege and it was cheaper to install? dont no just putting my 2 cents out there.

10. tbplus10

Water meth works best on gas engines, on Diesels it really pushes the exhaust temps up. Straight water on diesels works good to cool if you've turned the fuel control up.