Compressed Natural Gas...I'll try to answer your questions

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Highmarker, Jun 14, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member 100 Posts

I'm wondering what are the long-term effects on the engine using CNG?
  2. Highmarker

Highmarker New Member

Most of the wear and tear on the engine comes from the fact that the CNG is not lubricated like gasoline is. CNG is a gas not a liquid and a dry gas at that. However, most newer enignes have hardened valves which is what dedicated CNG engines have. The hardened valves are needed to resist the non-lubricating CNG. When the system is set up right, CNG burns cleaner than gasoline so engine life is prolonged due to less carbon buildup. The key is to have the CNG system set up right.
  3. Lapine Rider

Lapine Rider New Member

Thank you for your kind reply. Do you happen to recall your source material for that, by chance? I'm very serious about proceeding with this in the next few months, and I'd like to have my legal issues covered as best I can.
  4. Highmarker

Highmarker New Member

Lapine Rider,

Here is the EPA's website on alternative fuel conversions. All the information you need is there. Happy reading.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/fuels/altfuels/altfuels.htm

About a 1/4 down the page there is a link to Light Duty Vehicle Outside Useful Life Notification Package.
  5. Lapine Rider

Lapine Rider New Member

Thank you again _very_ much! The earliest date I even saw listed was 1998, so I doubt anyone will get too excited about a mod on my 1995. It's appreciated!
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

CNG searches on Google are getting popular again.
  7. the phantom

the phantom New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thats because there is an abundance of Natural gas.. They were drilling and/or Hydrofracking here in the northeast so much that all of sudden it came to a halt mainly because they were finding more than they could sell. Also there are a lot of people against the hydrofracking and encouraging towns to put moritoriums on it until more information on its safety/health hazards are known. I was watching a government channel the other day and they anticipate that natural gas usage will increase 50% in the US by the year 2030. only 16 years away.. Looks like I wont have a problem finding work for the rest of my working days.. Ive been working in the natural gas industry for 15 years and a few years before that actually worked on a natural gas drilling rig for a couple years. Theres a lot of deteriorating pipelines out there that are climbing 100+ years old and if they are not replaced bad things happen.. We usually see on the news a good handfull of explosions every year due to the infrastructure falling apart. I have even replaced some of the plastic gas lines that were buried in the early 80's that are failing due to the oxidation of the plastic and are getting brittle. Im actually looking at getting some training to become a pipeline inspector when my body doesnt allow me to do the work im doing now. I think eventually there will be a call for it as soon as the government clamps down on some of the gas companies that have deteriorating systems.
  8. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson New Member 100 Posts

As supply increases, so will demand.
    Local power utility here where I am, is going to break ground soon for a new NG power generation station to replace an existing converted coal station.
    A local municipal city wanted to convert some of their fleet to CNG, but they seem to be at odds with their insurance carrier as they won't permit the city to construct/operate their own CNG refueling station.

I'm not opposed to CNG as a fuel option, I hope its popularity lasts longer than LPG did for on road use.