computer chip for my 94 k1500

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by mtj63, Nov 1, 2009.

1. mtj63

mtj63 New Member

hi im looking to put ina hypertech computer chip i have two options the first is the strret runner chip where all you have to do is piggy back it off the computer. for 50 more bucks i can get the next stage up but it says i have to get a new thermostat. how hard is it to change one and will it kill my mpg's. im 17 and do not have that much knowledge about how to do these types of things so any reveiws on the chips or just plain old advice would help. thanks guys =)

2. maxpower_454

maxpower_454 Member

A chip is a waste of money for your truck. the computer doesn't have too much control over things in those years. If it was a brand new diesel, yes, they're worth it. For your year truck, invest in some headers. Much better use of your money.

3. okysmokey911

okysmokey911 Rockstar 100 Posts

Installing the chip and thermostat are really easy. The computer is located in the dash behind your glove department. You just take out the four screws and pull the glove department out and the computer will be on the right side. Just unscrew the small cover and pop out the stock chip and replace it with the new one. The thermostat is easy to change, but a little messy. You have to take off the housing at the front of the intake manifold ( the one with the big hose from the radiator going to it ) Thermostat will just be sitting there and you can just pull it out. Really easy.