1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Computer Code P1153

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by nascar1, May 28, 2007.

1. nascar1

nascar1 New Member

Finally got around to going to Auto Zone and have them check the Check Engine Light that I posted several weeks ago.

The scanner showed a code of P1153. In their print-out, it talks about several problems of which I don't have a clue.
    1.Failed HO2S-21 heater circuit.
    2.HO2S-21 signal shorted the ECM ground.
    3.Improper oxygen supply to sensor- Check sensor connector and wire.

Are we talking about a bad oxygen sensor or something else. I am totally lost as to what HO22S-231 is.

What do ya think?
    1 person likes this.
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sounds like you need to replace drivers side front sensor

HO2S (Hot Oxygen) sensors develop a voltage by comparing oxygen in the atmosphere to the level of oxygen in the exhaust gas. Rather like a battery, the sensor produces a voltage between 0.1 volt and 0.9 volt depending on the amount of Hot Oxygen to which it is exposed in the exhaust stream. In Lean conditions (High in Oxygen, low fuel level) the sensor returns a low voltage because there is less differential between the oxygen in atmosphere, while in Rich conditions, (Low Oxygen, high fuel) it reads high because there is a large differential between the level of oxygen in the exhaust stream and atmosphere. The change between the two readings occurs suddenly in what is known as a 'switch', but this term does not have any electrical connotation. This effect is illustrated in the figure below:

[​IMG]
  3. Cableguy

NOTE: In the event that the ceramic element on the HO2S sensor is cracked, raw fuel can contaminate the air reference side of the HO2S. Since the exhaust gas now contains more oxygen than the reference side of the sensor, the HO2S will return a negative value. This effect is called the Characteristic Shift Down, and where it is observed the affected sensor will have to be replaced.

[​IMG]
  4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

OK, Mr. Dr. Professor Jamie, he only asked if it was referring to the O2 sensor. He didn't need a class...:lol:

j/k

Good find

ps: that's a reference to Sponge Bob, where Patrick insists on being called "Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick"

Yep, I watch too many cartoons with my son...lol
  5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't mind the lesson, it's the quiz on friday that kills me.

Learned something new today. Thx!:great:
  6. Cableguy

Glad I could assist in your knowledge base. Usually its the other way around. I usually pick something up from you...:lol:
  7. nascar1

nascar1 New Member

Thanks for the VERY technical info guys. I guess the bottom line is to replace a O2 sensor?