Computer gurus: need help with iPod and my new computer.

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Jimmeh, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

So my old computer took a huge dump all over my desk, so I went and bought a laptop. I'm far too lazy to figure out why my old computer will not start right now, but really wish I had my music from it on this new one. Most of the music is on my iPod and I can see them through iTunes on this new computer, but it will not let me add them to my playlist even though I can add songs to my iPod! I'm guessing this is so that people can't just plug in their friends iPods and have a ton of music on their computers (though, I have nothing against that myself and don't get why in a society where they want us to share everything with everybody we can't even do that!) and am not really looking for a way around it unless that's my only option. Is there a way?
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

For purchased music, i-tunes will transfer over the music from your i-pod...just do NOT sync it or you will lose everything.

For CDs and other music you had on your old computer, unless you change the setting, i-tunes typically copies that music into a folder on your hard drive. If you can get to the hard-drive, just copy that folder onto your new computer and then copy and paste the entire file onto your i-tunes desktop icon. It will then upload all of other music onto your new i-tunes.

If you can't get to your hard-drive, there is a way to copy from your i-pod, but cannot remember how. CNET has a great "how to do" article that describes step by step how it's done. You may want to try a search on their site to see if you can find it.

Oh, needed to mention, the easiest way I found to do this was to start over with a new i-tunes vs trying to integrate from my current account. However, I'm not that i-tunes savvy, so their is probably a better way but for someone like me, this was pretty simple and clean.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Something the wise computer guru's on this site taught me once was to get a stand alone back-up drive.
    For less than $30 at the local computer bargain outlet I bought an Iomega drive that stores all my pictures, music, documents, and any other items I dont want to lose, when my last hard drive bit the dust I just unplugged the Iomega from the USB port plugged it into the new computer and viola everything was there on my new computer. I was also able to keep all my music from Itunes and other sources.
    You can also store favorite websites and a mess of other things you never think about losing until after the fact.
  4. AMac

AMac New Member 100 Posts

If the music was purchased through iTunes have you tried authorizing that computer? In iTunes, go to Menu>Store>Authorize this computer. Since Apple released their cloud network all of your purchases should be available still. I'm not sure if I'm understanding your issue quite right but maybe that will help?
  5. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

Most of my music was copied from CD's, and some was bought, which I now have on my iTunes. I do have an external drive, but never kept any files on it since I only used it to transfer stuff. I can't even get the old computer to fire up, so the only way to get the files on the hard drive is to set that one up as a slave on another computer, which I can't really do with a laptop (or maybe I can?). I'd hate to have to copy everything from my CD's again, but I think that's the plan, lol.

Thanks for the replies guys and gal!
  6. AMac

AMac New Member 100 Posts

I recommend bringing it to a computer shop and have them take a look at it. If anything they can remove the hard drive and hook it up to one of their test PCs and transfer all your files to an external HD.
  7. donyms

donyms New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You know if you have an operating system disk for your old computer you should be able to do a start-up repair with that disc and save all your files. If your hard drive crashed though you can take it to a computer shop and sometimes they can retrieve your files. Good luck man. :glasses:
  8. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As amac said, assuming your hard drive wasn't the culprit in the crash, take it into a local computer shop. All of your data, to include your music, will still be there. There are plenty of options available to you. As far as the cd music you copied, yeah apple doesn't really like the thought of you using your ipod as a data transfer device for the reasons you mentioned. You'll need to copy the music from your old drive, or from the original cds onto your new drive. As stated earlier, don't sync the ipod with the new system before this stuff is done. Your ipod will sync with what's on the new computer and right now that's not much.
  9. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

10. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My computer crashed and I , luckily had a relative who was IT savvy, He had a device that he took my hard drive out of my laptop and inserted ibto this device and he recovered several files. Sadly, not all files were recovered so I lost 4 years of photos I had taken of wildlife and family. Actually the wildlife and family are so similar it was scary anyway.
    So I learned the hard way that one or two external hard drives are important to ones sanity .:grrrrrr: