1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

computer problems of a friend, 2007 Subrban, 5.8

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by SuburbanChris, Aug 4, 2014.

1. SuburbanChris

SuburbanChris New Member

2007, Suburban LTZ, 5.8. gone thru 2 computers, 3rd no start condition now. Don't have the codes yet. Any thoughts if this is common.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If it's gone through 3 computers, I'd say the issue is something other than the computer. At the minimum, something is killing the computers. The standard weird electrical issue diagnostic is to pull codes, which I'm sure you can't if it's dead. The 2nd would be to start carefully and meticulously going through the wire loom both under the hood and under the dash looking for chafed wires.

Also, do not cross-post between different sub-forum. This clutters things up and will reduce the chances of us being able to work together to diagnose your issue.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Assuming your problem is fuel, when my '09 (same truck) had a no start problem, the problem was the fuel pump module (an electronic fuel pump relay). It was mounted above the spare tire.

However, you need to check the fuel pressure, that's the only way to tell if it's a fuel problem.
  4. SuburbanChris

SuburbanChris New Member

Thanks Crawdaddy. Am I in the right Forum? Just looking at this myself today.

Just went out to try starting it for myself. Jumped it with my rig to be sure the battery was up. Lights come on in the dash, then just a click in start position. Engine does not turn over.

Hopefully the past computer replacements were accurate, and not the dealer ripping him off.

- - - Updated - - -

So where is the computer located?
    The fuse box under the hood on the drivers side looks like it lifts out, what is under there?
    Thanks
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Provided it's not just a bad starter or starter solenoid, you're in the right place. :great:

How loud is the click? Does it sound like it's coming from the engine compartment or somewhere under the dash? A click from the engine compartment would naturally lead me to starter issues. Check for voltage at the starter.

Does the odometer turn on and display the mileage and other info? If you're getting the odometer, I'd say the computer is working in some form.

I'm not terribly familiar with the late 2000 models, but it should be under the hood somewhere. Under the fuse box would probably be a place I'd look. The computer case should be a very large heatsink measuring in the neighborhood of 8x12x4 with 2 large connectors on it.
  6. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

If all you get is repeated clicking noise in start position of the key, then that says to me either battery or starter. If you only get one click, then battery or ignition switch, or a relay somewhere between the battery, switch, and starter.

ECM on 07-14 Suburban/Tahoe/Avalanche/Escalade is located in the engine bay in plain site, on the driver side, right above the steering shaft, between where the alternator and fuse box are located.
    Crawdaddy likes this.
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What are the actual problems that are happening? Its just dying and having the starting issues?