1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Confused on Suspension Lifts

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by KrazyKowboy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. KrazyKowboy

KrazyKowboy New Member

So I had a post a few days ago but didnt get any replies so I'll try to clean up the question. What are the different types of suspension lifts? in example: add-a-leaf, pallet, etc. And what do they consist of/how are they done?
    ANY info at all helps me out cuz I know nothing on this stuff.
  2. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The suspension lift's depend on what you really want high or cheap or in your price range. Some lift kit's use upgraded shocks,blocks and u bolts,add a leaf and some even use leveling kit's with rear block's.All depends on what ride comfort you want also too. Most the expensive lift's have all the required part's and have urgraded shocks and coil springs. Also other's use spacers along with the kit. All kit's basically have the same hardware when looked at, but quality the chepaer ones tend to wear allot more than the expensive ones. A lift can really be changed with upgraded shocks like fox shocks, king shocks, cst shocks all these are great but expensive. I heard billestein are really good and cheaper. What kind of lift are you interested in a cheap one or expensive one and or good quality or bad quality?
  3. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

^^^^^^ what he said. It all comes down to what you are interested in. Performance or looks? Ride quality or a cheap quick lift? The main two type of lifts are body lifts and suspension lifts. A body lift is usually cheaper and easier to install but are only good for 2-4'' of lift. They are usually $400-600.

Now for suspension lifts there is a very wide range. If you want a small lift then a leveling kit is the way to go. Pretty much its sonly purpose is to allow a slightly bigger than stock tire to get rid of that stock grade trucks now a day have. Also you get more ground clearance since you have a bigger tire. The other type is true suspension lifts. They go anywhere from 3'' to however high you think you can go without your truck tipping over. Rocksstarchevy81 described those already pretty well.
  4. KrazyKowboy

KrazyKowboy New Member

Thanks Guys! :great:Yea I already am putting a 3" body lift on it and would like to put at least a 6" Suspension lift on it. I wont be doing any extreme off roading but I am a country kid and I live on a ranch so I definitely want something that will last a long time and isnt only for in town showing off haha. Obviously I wont be towing anything though. This lift is something I'm planning on saving up money for anyway so probably something in the middle range would be good for me. Is skyjacker worth a damn? Rough country seems like a good company as does Tuff Country. Like I said I just don't understand certain parts of the lingo that go along with the kits. For instance: skyjacker has a couple of lift kits for my 05 Silverado, the one that is called a "pallet lift kit" is slightly cheaper than the one that is just a "lift kit". Any ideas on why that is? Better yet suggestions on what you guys like? As I said its a 05 Silverado Ext cab and I would like to go bigger than 6" I think
  5. IPFK83

IPFK83 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

How big of lift do you want to go with? Not sure about the pallet lift it might be just the basic lift with there normal shocks and not the lift kit with all the options.
  6. KrazyKowboy

KrazyKowboy New Member

I would like to go either 8 or 10". Your '06 with the 12" lift is F#%$ing AWESOME dude!!!!
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The lift kits for the IFS GM's have two basic lift kits. One type and the most popular is a steering knuckle lift. This uses a combination of a taller steering knuckle and lower control arm brackets. This kits puts less stress on steering componants. The second type of kit uses brackets for the upper and lower control arm to lift the truck. This type of system put more stress on the steering componants.
  8. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I haven't heard any good things about rough country from around the site.
  9. IPFK83

IPFK83 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

If you want a 8-10" suspension lift I would recommend Cognito Motorsports but you are looking a spending some money.
  10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

BDS, Rancho, Skyjacker and CST are the best kits we installed. There are ALOT of other kits we never used because some were just junk and others were good but they had no local warehouses supplier. We did stay away from RoughCountry, sorry don't mean to offened people with the RC kits.