1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Connecting IPOD to stock 2009 stereo with XM

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by supermanwv, Jun 25, 2009.

1. supermanwv

supermanwv New Member

I'm not sure how the XM stereo is connected to the stock head unit, maybe someone on here knows. But is it possible to unhook the XM and connect the IPOD to the stock head unit where the XM unhooks from?

Does the XM connect to the stereo by aux imputs on the rear of the stereo or aux inputs on a little box connected to the rear of the stereo?

Just trying to see if I can hook up my ipod using an ipod interface rather than a stereo to stereo cable to the aux input on the front of the radio.

The sound quality would be better, plus it would charge my ipod at the same time.

I have an aftermarket Alpine Stereo head unit that I could install, but is it a pain since there is no actual antenna on the outside of the truck, other than the XM antenna. Or is the antenna in the windshield or something? Because my Alpine unit actually works all of the controls for my IPOD.

Is it hard to disconnect the XM or anything when installing an aftermarket head unit? Is there anything I need to do or make sure of when replacing the stock unit?

Thanks for any help you can give....IS THERE A DIY for stereo installs on a 2007-2009 NEW BODY STYLE Silverado?

Clark (supermanwv)
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. jhbrennan

jhbrennan New Member

3. Irving10

Irving10 New Member

I have an 04 Silverado with the stock head unit and XM. I installed a USA SPEC iPod interface that i got from Crutchfield and it works great. It plays through the XM1 setting, so if you still want to have XM you can get it through XM2. I have it set so the head unit cannot control the iPod because I wanted to have free reign of playing music outside of playlists (I think with this interface the only control you have via the head unit is through playlists, but I could be wrong.) It was pretty straightforward to install. There is no AUX input on the back of the head unit (at least in the 04's). Trust me, I've checked a couple times. But the interface worked well for me.
  4. times1

times1 New Member

Have you installed this device in your vehicle? How does it operate with the IPhone 3G?