1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Considering a diesel truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Camaro69car, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Was looking at an 04 silverado, diesel. 140K miles (good bad or average for a used truck) body is solid.

This would make my first diesel truck, and was just wondering about general maintenance, and cost of ownership. and other helpful things I should know.

I'm not looking to "roll coal" or tow invisible trailers. Just need a truck to tow a double axle full of wood, with a bed full of wood if needed for home renovations.
  2. redvett

redvett Member

Fuel,filters,oil are some of the higher maintance costs of a Diesel. If your not going to tow 30000 miles a year its not cost effective.
    Just buy a 3/4 ton gaser and save your money, better yet get a 1/2 ton if your not going for heavy loads.

3. Camaro69car

will a half ton tow a 10K lbs, or haul about 1K lbs of lumber in the bed?
  4. redvett

redvett Member

Even a 3/4 t will be over the GVW of 10000 lbs or 5 tons. You will need a trailer.
  5. Camaro69car

Definately, Ive got a double axle. Just need enough umph to be able to merge onto the highways here. we have clover leafs and gotta be able to pull a 30-70 in about 6-9 seconds.
  6. lonnie.hausler

lonnie.hausler New Member

I had a 12 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L. It was a great truck it just didn't have enough to pull a 24foot enclosed with a combined 17000lbs, down the highway. It would do it but at 7-8 mpg at 65. I purchased a 13 2500hd with the 6.6L Duramax and did the same pull. Averaged 14.0-16.5 mpg at 65mph and had no sluggishness at all at any point over the course of 400 miles. Yeah the maintenance is more than a gas motor but the benefits outweigh the cost of ownership. Think about it. Diesel in my area average about 3.70 a gallon. and 93 octane is about the same. I always use the 93 unless I am just flat broke then I will use 87 octane and if I have to use 87 I only put in no more than 10 gallons... Just my 2 cents as a current Diesel owner and former Gas motor owner...
  7. Camaro69car

I'm looking at a few '04 body style silverado 2500's (I prefer the look of the older ones over the newer ones, plus I cannot fit in the new trucks, The seats sit up higher than the 04 styles. [I'm 6'4"])
  8. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 1 Year 100 Posts

That used truck you looked at is 9-10 years old. That's 13,000-14000 miles a year, not too bad and below normal for the number of miles since most people drive 18K-20K miles a year. For a diesel that is maintained it is at about half life. The engine takes 10 quarts to fill up and you must use oil rated for diesel. When they break, parts are much higher in price than a gasser. The tranny's are heavier and also have to consider cost to repair. Call a tranny shop and ask for a cost difference. Bottom line a diesel truck is best for heavy towing since diesels have lots of torque and will get better fuel economy when towing compared to a gasser. Diesel fuel cost more, they are usually a 2500 or 3500 series truck, more weight, bigger tires and breaks, etc. Diesels are designed to get the heavy work done, not save you money. As you know wood is heavy and it seems like you could use a diesel. If you go with a gas engine truck, a 1500 wont last, you'll need at 2500 or maybe a 2500HD.
  9. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Well it isn't going to happen with my commercial semi grossing 80,000 lb, so not sure why one "has" to be able to get up to 70 in 6-9 seconds when pulling loads. While it may be nice to get up to the speed of everyone else before merging in, it is not practical all the time, can be dangerous in it's own rite, and I never worry about it. I signal well in advance all the way down the ramp that I will be merging, and I watch the traffic and try to pace myself to time it right for the merge. Doesn't always work perfectly, but over 3 decades of merging heavy trucks and no one has had to eat the ditch or my back side. I deal with a lot of major metro areas with a commercial truck and, it would be nice to do 30 to 70 in a few seconds, it is not going to happen. It takes me almost a mile or more to get up to 65, depending on grade. Save that NHRA type of driving for your car. Use good sense and judgement and virtually any bad situation can be avoided. A slogan that I used when training new semi truck drivers was this..... A superior driver will use superior judgement to avoid situations that require superior skill.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013