1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Considering Buying 1500 Silverado any Advice?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by shwagy357, May 17, 2009.

1. shwagy357

shwagy357 New Member

• I'm considering purchasing a 2000 Silverado 1500 Reg Cab w/ 4.3l V6.
    • Is this motor powerful enough for this truck? I only plan doing some light towing (16 ft jonboat).
    • Is there anything I should pay close attention too before purchasing?
    • Are there any common problems with these older trucks I should be aware of before purchasing?
    I would greatly appreciate any additional insight shared.

Thanks
  2. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Rockstar 100 Posts

don't. unless you very good mechanic and don't mind continuous repairs.

no, motor is underpowered for the truck and, lord save you, for any major job. of course, i'll be bashed by every 4.3 owner here, but i hope you understand how goes it on this...

well, let me put it this way: i had mine purchased 2 yrs ago, with 58K miles on ticker. ever since, I had: transfer case switch replaced, both window regulators replaced, idler arm replaced, tierod ends replaced, leaking windshield resealed with a ton of silicone, driver side hub replaced, driveshaft removed and serviced for yoke thud(came back in 4 mths) steering shaft replaced with clunk coming back. i have clunks and rattles everywhere. around 16.7 average mpg, and i am very easy driver. oil pan leaking. can't remove drain plug from oil pan.. nasty rear windows noise at freeway speeds. crazy fuel gauge. so, where do you want to start looking for?

yes, common problems are: slip yoke, intermediate steering shaft, hub bearings, idler and pitman, window regulators, fuel pump, gas tank sending unit.
    basically, and i am not lying, i had more repairs done on this truck than i had done on 3 mitsubishes, toyota, honda, lexus, and ford ranger combined.

also, i am membering in 5 chevy forums, and it's about the same everywhere.

lately, it developed a shake switching into 2nd gear. my guess - trannie's on the last leg. so, i already placed feelers for last gen Toyota Tacoma from auction and will sell this one asap. it's a frigging money pit.

and if you think it's just ****ty year - well, read about the new ones:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22692

why do you think GM is on the verge of bankruptcy and closing dealerships in hundreds?

of course, this will be followed by angry owners of ones that "never had any trouble in 300 000 miles" but somehow, i really will doubt that.
  3. trimhalifax

trimhalifax Rockstar 100 Posts

I have only had to replace o2 sensors and regular wearout items like brakes and tires.Engine runs smooth and quiet. I have had problems with previous Canadian built Chevs but my current one was built in U.S.I bought it in Vermont.
  4. usmctribe

usmctribe New Member

i dont know much about the history of silverado's but i can tell you look over the truck very carefully. I recently bought a truck and got a lot of surprises when i took it home and looked over it. Do that before your agree to a purchase. Climb under it and look around, ask for a history on it. You dont want to have to find out a week later you need to do a big repair. The color of the fluids is a good indicator of how the previous owner took care of it. Good luck
  5. 1_low_rider

1_low_rider Rockstar 100 Posts

buy a v8, like ukrkoz said earlier, that engine just wasnt cut out for being a "truck" engine. my second chevy truck i bought was a 2001 reg cab with that engine and i ended up taking it back within a few months because it just doesnt perform like a truck should! i now have a 2002 with the 5.3 and couldnt be happier with it. thats just my personal opinion.
  6. 97chevz71

97chevz71 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

If a 4.3 is what you want they are a beast. they will pull that john boat with ease. But the gas milage comparision to the 5.3 is comparible. so you meight as well get the 5.3 because it gets the same gas milage.
  7. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I suggest the 5.3l over the 4.3l, gets good gas mileage, and has excellent amount of power.
  8. Hwy St*r

Hwy St*r Member

there's good and bad in all vehicles. just cause everybody has a good one doesn't mean you can't get a bad one and the opposite for every bad one there's a great one. 5 months ago when i decided to go back to a truck the only one i wanted was a chevy. took a look and saw a '05 4.3/5-speed 2x4 at a great price with pretty low miles. having had a '92 bought brand new a few years back with the same drivetrain and loved it i was sold. would i like a little more power? sure i would but for what i use my truck for which is mostly a commuter vehicle it's great. with whatever you look at just check it over carefully and then check again. take it for a long test drive and play with every button knob etc, if you're not mechanically inclined take someone with you that can run up a realistic mental tab of any repairs the truck may need. good luck and don't let someones bad experience stop you from getting what you want.