1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Constant clicking in engine bay

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jeremiahweed28, Jul 29, 2009.

1. jeremiahweed28

jeremiahweed28 New Member

I drive a 1988 k2500 4x4. dont know how many miles on it. odomiter stoped at 81k.

anyway I was driving down a red clay road and hit a washout at about 35mph. right after I hit it i noticed a fast clicking coming from the engine. It gest faster as the rpms get higher and it would start and stop about every second or so. Now the clicking is constant and is geting to be verry anoying. I tryed to pinpoint the noise and it seams to be coming from the ac compressor. the ac clutch dosent move either. Am I just low on freon or is this a more serious problem? the noise hasent caused any problems with the vehicles preformance, its just a nusince that I would like to get rid of.
    Any sugestions?
  2. EvilNetwork

EvilNetwork Rockstar

Do you hear it at idle too, or just when revving the engine? If you're hearing it while driving, and it's going up and down with engine RPM's, it's probably the donut gasket from the exhaust manifolds to the crossover. When those go where the sound comes from can trick you.

The AC compressor shouldn't cause any noise unless you're actually running it.
  3. jeremiahweed28

jeremiahweed28 New Member

Yea I can hear it at Idle too. Its definatly not coming from any part of the exhaust though. I got pissed and hit The A/C compresor with a bat and the noise stoped for a min or two then came back.lol

it will sometimes stop for a second then come right back.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Holy Crap, Settle Settle Buddy!! Not that any of us on hear havent thrown a wrench, or beat on the frame of the truck after they bust a knuckle on a stubborn bolt, or just ottered the good old F -bomb up and down the driveway for the neighbors to hear:rofl: