Constant coolant loss

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mstr33t, Apr 12, 2012.

1. paracutin

paracutin Rockstar 100 Posts

I wouldn't stop using Dexcool. Just don't think it is okay to leave it in for 100k. Change it every two or three years / 50,000 miles.
    If you do decide to switch make sure the coolant you choose is 100% compatible. It will say so on the container. If it isn't, you are in for one helluva mess.
    Cause it is almost impossible to get all the coolant out of your engine.

2. elkhornsun

elkhornsun Member

GM's are known for having problems with the intake manifold gaskets. It can affect cars with as few as 24k miles. I had the problem with my Tahoe at 67K miles and first noticed a loss of power as though the engine was running too rich. In reality the coolant was coming into the engine and affecting the combustion.

I was lucky that very little coolant go into the engine and none into the crankcase in which case my engine would have self-destructed very quickly. I bought a set of top quality after market gaskets by Edelbrock as I was not about to trust ones from GM.

3. paracutin

I believe the problem is actually the coolant (Dexcool) causing the intake gaskets to fail and not the gaskets themselves. I have read many articles in GM Performance magazine where they do rebuilds or upgrades and they always mention reusing the intake gaskets (as long as the ports match).

4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The 4.8 is known for cracks to develop in the heads. My 03 lost enough every 3 months to empty the resovoir and drop the radiator level enough for the low coolant light to appear.

5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I'm with paracutin... I had a similar issue with my 97 2500hd which eventually showed itself when it started leaking more. Ended up being the intake manifold. Good luck.

6. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa, gen 3 motors have dry intakes with cross over tubes. What i would do is make absolutely sure there are no external before you go too deep. Pull the fan shroud and check the rad fully, check the trans fluid cuz that year was known for the internal trans cooler in the rad to leak coolant into the trans. Then pull the cabin filters and check the heater core. Tell us what you find.

7. paracutin

Do 04's have cabin filters? My 04 2500HD doesn't.

8. Dnarvel

Dnarvel New Member

I believe they stopped putting in cabin filters in '03 (or '02?). I would definatly check the water pump seal area, I have seen slow leaks happen there, and in some cases the coolant evaporates before it can drip due to engine heat. So check all lines for a dried whitish/greenish substance, and as others stated the rad and underlying areas as well.

9. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Our 97 Gen 3 has a dry intake.... but the crossover ports are still there. The intake and gasket are used to plug the ports. Do a search on the internet this is a known problem as Chevy used plastic gaskets initially on the Gen 3 motors.... and are known to leak.

10. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

97 gen 3? What corvette? All of the new truck motors(4.8,5.3,6.0) have dry intake and there are no coolant ports in the heads to the intake. There are just cross over tubes with o-rings and a coolant tube running to the tb to warm incoming air on cold starts.