Contemplating the purchase of a '90 Burb 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by DarkUncle, Jun 3, 2011.

1. DarkUncle

DarkUncle New Member

Hi all,

This model has the 454 big block and a 410 rear so yeah the mileage is going to really suck but I am more concerned with power and payload. With that being said I am thinking of grabbing it for a dedicated tow vehicle for my new 28' travel trailer. I am currently pulling it with a '09 Chrysler Aspen. The Aspen pulls it fine but doesn't leave much room for payload, weight wise. Need something bigger that will hold my 3 kids, family dog and camping gear.

The Suburban only has about 88k original miles on her. Is being advertised as immaculate and garage kept. Do you think this would be a wise move on my part? How do these Burbs pull?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well the TBI 454 has alot of power, and they are pretty simple to work on. The burban as long has good tires (10ply load range E) then you shouldnt have any issue and actually you should feel far more stable than in your aspen. As long as he isnt asking an arm and a leg for it since you can go a couple of years newere and get a 6.5L turbo diesel for around $3K and they are usually 4X4...

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club, Chris.

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Being an owner of what is now a '91 2500 Suburban with 4.10s but a small block 350, I would also say to get it if the price is reasonable. Parts are still plenty and pretty cheap, they're so comfortable to ride in, and should pull the camper with relative ease. Is it a 2wd or a 4x4? Either way I wouldn't hesitate to snatch it up.

5. DarkUncle

DarkUncle New Member

Hmmm..just called the seller. It's a 4x2. I think I kind of wanted a 4x4 so I can take the trailer out on the beach if I so choose. However, I just found one that is a 4x4 and it's a '99 with the 454 big block with about 130k on the OD. Advertised as being very clean inside and out for about $4k.

I have read that the big block gassers have more towing capacity than the diesel versions. Is that true?

Thanks for the welcome,
    Chris

6. hoosyurdaddy

hoosyurdaddy Rockstar

I have the 99 2500 4x4 with the big block.It does not have the 4:10 gearing but still pulls well.176k on it.I gave $5500 for it last year but it is the LST model. So 4k is a good price.They are hard to sell so you should be able to get the price down.I tow a 20 ft camper loaded with water and gear and the burb is loaded with stuff too including a canoe on top and firewood.Just buy shares in petroleum and you will be fine.

7. DarkUncle

DarkUncle New Member

How many miles can one expect to rack up on the 454's before they need major repairs or rebuilds? My wife is kind of frowning on the fact it has 130k on it.

Thanks,
    Chris

8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If it had all the proper service done the engine will go 250,000 plus miles.

9. hoosyurdaddy

hoosyurdaddy Rockstar

Mine is still really strong at 176k but the front end is starting to get loose.

10. stevehayes01

stevehayes01 New Member

I have a 1990 454 R2500 2wd and I have to say it will pull a house off the foundation with the G80 locker and the 4.10 gears. I would grab it if you already haven't and enjoy the comfort and size.