Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Control Arm/Ball Joint Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Big_Al, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Big_Al

Big_Al New Member

What is the best way to tell if you have a stamped lower control arm or a forged? Mine appears to have been made from 2 pieces welded together. IIRC It has been a while since I looked at it but that leads to question #2 ....I'm a fan of Rockauto and was going to order ball joints and other suspension parts from them but they offer a wide range of parts. I know not always does the expensive out preform the less expensive. Any recommendations as to brand of parts. I want to save money but don't want to replace these parts 2 years from now. Thanks, Al
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Moog suspension parts are the best you can get in my opinion. I have found that the part store's house brands just don't hold up like moog. I have been in many shops where the only suspension parts that they will install are moog. As far as your control arm question, From what I understand forged is one solid piece while stamped is multiple pieces welded together. Here is a pic, the top one is forged the bottom stamped. I don't see why it would matter if you were replacing both control arms. I would assume that the forged and stamped still have to be within the same specs.
    2012-05-28_181053_pic1.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. Big_Al

Big_Al New Member

Pikey,

Thanks for the pic of the control arms. I for sure have the stamped. As for the Moog, I kinda knew that and if I didn't get an answer then I would have went that route.

I was just planning on replacing the ball joints and reuse my control arms.

Again, Thanks, Al
  4. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Try summit racing or amazon if you want to replace yours. I just order both upper control arms from summit (they had they in stock, but same price as amazon) and are of good quality. (US made too)
  5. cmcolfax

cmcolfax Member

Kyle, are you talking about ordering the CA's (U&L) from Summit / Amazon or the BJ's?

On these trucks is it easier to just replace all than to separate & replace BJ's?
  6. KyleZ71

I ordered the control arms themselves. I know you can order both on either site. If the ball joint was never replaced there is a good chance it was tacked in from the factory. You will need to grind or drill the welds so you can press in the new ball joint. I am trying to replace my control arms right now but I need to get the right socket right now because they are on there tight!
  7. cmcolfax

cmcolfax Member

Keep me posted.

Will get under my rig tomorrow and see of OE stamped or forged CA's.

Don't think BJ's gave been done.

Gotta check the BINDER of maintananice receipts and recoreds the PO gave me.

Starting to get that sloppy feeling, like BJ or TRE going bad.

May I ask how much the CA's were?

Thanks

-cmc-
  8. KyleZ71

I ordered my Moog upper control arms from Summit Racing and they were 75.97 a piece. That's with a new ball joint, bushings, and everything. It was 151.94 to my door, and Summit gives you free shipping on orders above 100
  9. Big_Al

Big_Al New Member

I don't mind doing a little extra work to save money. That's why I'm rebuilding the front suspension myself. I think I'll go with these bushings: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Susp...:1997|Model:Tahoe&hash=item2583ffcfa5&vxp=mtr

and the Moog joints from Rock Auto.:
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=203027&cc=1061367

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=202936&cc=1061367

The ball joints are about $120.00 delivered. That will be about $170.00 for the parts to rebuild upper and lower control arms. If I had issues with the control arms I'd consider buying them. If I feel like it I may even send them out for a fresh powder coating while I have them off.... Al