Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Control arm interchange

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by BurbanMan, Apr 12, 2014.

1. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Okay. I have a 1990 GMC K2500 light duty (6 lug) that needs the front end rebuilt. I was wondering if the Ball joints for the 8 lug 2500 trucks will interchange with my control arms. as in, use standard duty 2500 ball joints in my light duty control arms. Any help is appreciated

here are a couple photos of "The Turd"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

How many miles are on these ball joints ?

3. BurbanMan

172,xxx And it has the tubular style upper control arms

4. kbonanny

kbonanny New Member

I do not have access to my parts programs from home, but i do know they are two different front suspensions....I would do a parts search for both trucks and note the part numbers (moog is my website of choice)..if the same part numbers fit both trucks, they're interchangeable. If they're different, which off of memory alone I think they are, well then you can not interchange them.

5. BurbanMan

yeah, there's two different ball joints available. I just wasn't sure if the diameter is what made them different. I appreciate your help!

6. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

Yeah, I think they are not interchangeable. I'm sure a heavy duty is the one for your 3/4 ton truck takes a different part, I quickly looked at rockauto.com and they are different. The 2500 has a 7700 pound suspension and the heavier 8600 pound model. But besides that, you have 172.000 miles on the truck, not being sure of how long the tubular suspension but 172.000 miles is about all your gonna get out of a suspension part like the ball joints. please, just get 4 new ones. It's a 2 hour job, but you should feel the difference in handling.

7. BurbanMan

Yeah. I plan on changing all 4. Just wasn't sure if they were the same diameter or not