Conventional oil or synthetic oil

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dboii313, Aug 30, 2009.

1. dboii313

dboii313 New Member

I have a 97 suburban with a 5.7 with 173,000 miles with no apparent leaks anywhere. Would it be too late to switch to a synthetic oil? What are the benefits of switching to a synthetic?

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A synthetic oil lets you drive longer between oil changes and is stable at higher temperatures than regular motor oil. Looks like your 97 is doing fine in it's old age. How often fo you change the oil?

3. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i use synthetic, its supposed to be better. The only better thing i see is that by your second or third oil change with synthetic you saved some money.

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

A 97 with 179k stick with the dino oil if its worked well so far. as with anything use a good quality oil and filter(napa/wix), and change regularly. Synthetics can go longer between, but thats up to you on how you want to do it. I use dino oils for the most part but I don't knock synthetics. I have synthetic in my car's tranny and the rear end of my truck(required). I have had no issues with sludge in the engine using castrol gtx and 3k changes. Looking in the engines is nice and clean. Just look into cost, how often you want to change fluid etc. some might say you can develop a leak switching to synthetic because it may dislodge some junk that was keeping it from leaking (not that the synthetic is what makes the leak)

5. nightmanx1

nightmanx1 New Member

I have a 96 1500 and switched to synthetic oil at 129,000 and have had no problems with leaks and I am now at 141000 in about 18 months.

6. dboii313

dboii313 New Member

I change the oil every 3000 miles

7. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I recommend Ams Oil, i use it in my truck, and it's some really good oil, probably one of the best i've used, i still find the tractor diesel oil is one of the best though. For those who have access to it in the 50 gallon drums.

8. Sawfish

Sawfish Member

I have a 93 Suburban Silverado 2500 with 4 WD, HD towing package, 7.4 L, etc. and 153,000 miles. Believe me, in Southern California (100+ all week) this thing generates some serious heat. I am the original owner and have used Valvoline Synthetic throughout since I bought the truck. I change engine oil every 5,000 (3,000 in the summer), and change transmission, transfer case and differential fluids (all synthetic) every 35,000 miles. I have added a B & M extra capacity transmission pan and an auxiliary trans. oil cooler. The only thing done to the drive train to date is just changing the fluids and an occasional gasket. Synthetic lasts longer because it does not break down under heat. You can actually see the difference on your temperature gauge. I am sold on synthetics, and run it in all of our vehicles..