1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Convert 2wd to 4x4

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Pats1pab1, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Pats1pab1

Pats1pab1 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Guys, a friend of mine was asking about converting a 2wd 2006 Silverado 1500, to a 4wd. Does anyone know of any sites that might offer kits to do the conversion? Has anyone ever done a conversion like this, is it a mess to deal with, because I might schedule a vacation those couple of weeks.
    :lol:

2. Pats1pab1

Thanks Caddiac, i'll keep lookin. I found some 2wd to 4wd Solid Axle Conversion Kit 1988-1998 but just figured that there were kits with the brackets for welding everything up and attaching everything. I know its a job way out of my leauge and would just trade in the truck for a 4wd model.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Theres kits available. Most kits without axles, t-case, driveshafts, and a few other parts run in the range of $1500 to $2000. A kit usually includes hangers, springs, templates for cutting and welding, and a few bracketts. Depending on axles and T-case you want add another couple grand to source them.
    A turn key conversion runs close to $10,000 with you providing the truck.
    Even with a kit this isnt a conversion that should be undertaken by a novice mechanic, a wrong cut with the torch can turn your expensive truck into an expensive pile of garbage.
    I've done conversions on quite a few trucks and even with a kit there always seems to be some snag that requires extra attention or creativeness.
    This type conversion requires a well outfitted shop with welders, cutting tools, preferably a lift but jackstands can be used, a wide assortment of hand tools, and dedicated assistants.
    The average conversion with an experienced mechanic (as long as you dont get fancy and try to build a linked suspension) takes about a month of evenings and weekends. The truck wont be driveable from day one untill you get it completed.
    Whoever does the weldingshould be someone you trust your life with, because everytime you drive the truck you will be.

My recommendation is to sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd or buy an old beater that you can take your time converting to 4wd and learn some new wrenching skills on.

If your still interested in kits google 4wd conversions
  4. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

These words are some of the smartest I've seen written on the internet. Nobody can make a 4x2 into a 4x4 and expect it to be the same as a 4x4 off the assembly line.

If you ae an extream 4x4 guy and want to have a SFA for the articulation you already have the skills, equipment and money to do so, or have enough money to have your friends do it...
  5. Pats1pab1

Thanks, I was thinking that he ought to sell it and get himself a 4wd. He has either a 68 or 70 Chevy truck that is in fair-good condition. I told him if it were me I would put the money into that, but he has it in his mind that he wants to convert this 2006, and even though he works on his own stuff, just have a bad feeling he will end up in a mess. Thanks again!!