Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Convert a 1500 to a 2500?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by COFLH, Feb 29, 2012.

1. COFLH

COFLH New Member

I'm sure this has been asked, but I can't find it. Is possible/feasable/realistic to convert a 2011 Danali 1500 into a 2500 (or more)? What would it take? It seems like it has plenty of engine (6.2l), but am jsut wondering shouldI someday want to get a big camper without getting a bigger truck.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Converting your truck -is- getting a bigger truck. I'd think the easiest and least expensive (in terms of both time AND money) way to accomplish your conversion would be to sell your 1500 and buy a 2500.

I realize that's not the answer you were looking for, but time and money suggest it's the right answer ... and the simplest answer tends to be the correct one.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Like SurrealOne said you'll be money ahead by buying a new truck.
    The difference between a 1500 and a 2500 is much more than engine, theres a lot of drivetrain componenets and the frame that would need to be swapped to do it properly, in fact in the end you'd be better off to drop your body on a 2500 chassis if you were gonna do this swap.
    When you get to where you need the bigger truck just save yourself a lot of agony and buy a new one that suits your needs.

4. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Seems less expensive to simply trade in and buy up

5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Agree with the above, you can make it look like a 2500 but can't make it pull like one

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

He can make it pull like one, too -- it's just time-consuming and spendy. i.e. A losing proposition.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You right you right

8. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

'at's pretty much the way they do it in the factory.

another +1 for a new truck.

9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

the engine isnt the issue, its the frame, transmission, internal components, computer settings, rear end, gearing and so on.

if you just want additional hauling capacity, a leaf spring swap would be failry simple, but beyond that, buying a 2500 is a much less hassel filled route.

unless you want a project (nothing wrong with that) id just trade up.

Alex

10. COFLH

COFLH New Member

I see the trend here, and won't disagree. Only loss is depreciation, but that happens with every vehicle. Just a question though. What's are the differences? I know rear axle (3.73 or 4.10 vs 3.53) and suspension. I think the 6 speed is the same. But is there is difference in the frame? Anything else?