1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Convert all external lights to LEDs besides headlights.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 7, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

On my 2013 Silverado I would like to convert all the external lights to LED besides the headlights.

It looks like there are plenty of LED replacement bulbs that fit into the stock light sockets.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these. I would like to do it as LEDs last far longer over regular bulbs.

Thanks.
  2. mrbrown88

mrbrown88 New Member

I am wondering the same for my 2011.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

I believe [MENTION=53354]AMac[/MENTION] has done it to her NNBS Silvy...
  4. AMac

AMac New Member

The first thing you need to do is become familiar with all of the bulb sizes; you can do this by visiting Sylvania's bulb size guide:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgmain.aspx

Then become familiar with the different LED bulbs available. CREE LEDs are the new trend and are said to be brighter. They are also now making bulbs with a projector style lens which is great for reverse lights but for blinkers you want something that has 360 degree viewing angle. LEDs are nice because for the most part they're plug & play. When you start purchasing bulbs though, try to stick with the same company because when you buy white the color temperatures tend to vary between manufacturers. I know iJDMToy checks their colors to ensure that each light in a pair is the same color temp.
  5. tecster

tecster New Member

I'm interested in doing this to my 2006, going to be doing the HID's very soon (yes SurrealOne, the wrong way :( sorry!), and I'd love to convert the bulbs over, mainly because my reverse lighting sucks.
  6. 2012sierra

2012sierra New Member

I have done my Caddy and Camaro with LEDs and have learned a bit during the process.

First is that due to the lower power LEDs draw, turn signals may blink faster without a resistor installed inline with the new bulb. I had to do all 4 turn signal bulbs on both cars to make them flash at the correct rate. A quick warning about some resistors... they get HOT! So keep them clear of any plastics!

When replacing the brake light bulbs you may lose your cruise control and get a service electrical system on the DIC in the dash. I removed the LED brake light bulbs out of my Caddy due to that. I have access to a new socket style digital resistor that does not heat up so I am going to try the swap on my Sierra brake lights and see if they will keep the computer happy and the cruise control working.
  7. tecster

tecster New Member

Don't they have LED's with resistors built in?
  8. 2012sierra

2012sierra New Member

You are correct they do make those type of LEDs..... I got mine thru my work and unfortunatly for me, we don't bring that style in.