1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Convert Front Valance

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by F E Knucklebuster, Jul 6, 2009.

1. I bought an '04 2500HD that didn't have the tow hooks or the front valance that will accept them.

My valance had no openings and was in great shape.

Rather than spend the $$$ on a new one with hook openings or a used one with problems, I decided to convert what I had.

It's pretty simple. First remove the lower valance.

Note: All of the work is done on the back side of the valance.

From the back side, sand down the innermost coves on the edges. Use a small handsander with large grit. It takes some time to get to the point where you can see where it wants to release. This plastic is TOUGH! It took me about 20 solid minutes on each opening. Remember, you only need to be concerned with sanding the point where the plastic connects on the fold - you don't need to sand the entire opening.

Once you get close, get aggressive and work the areas that need help. Get it to release on its own if possible so it looks factory smooth. One side of mine released easier than the other.

At a point you can just pop it out. Don't do it too soon - the plastic gets pliable since it's warm and will tear into good plastic if you haven't removed enough for a clean release. Use the edge of a blade and drag (not cut!) it around the edge of the cutout to remove any hairs. You can also use some finer grade sandpaper to hit the edges.

Remember, when you do any cutting or sanding stay on the area that was removed - any cutting into new plastic, well, looks like you just cut into new plastic. This is what we're trying to avoid.

Mounted the valance back up and I was very pleased with the results. Looks factory, saved me some $$ and I don't have an extra valance to add to my spare parts pile.

Now I just need to install my ordered hooks.
  2. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

great how to, think it would work for the fog lights holes also? and i will toss one of these in[​IMG]
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

nice how to, but
  4. I agree.

Sorry.

I wasn't doing the alteration for the how-to post and thought about sharing it after the fact (and since it came out so well).

I thought about fog lights but I'm not sure how they mount and if they use any of the valance. If they just need the valance opened it should work just the same.
  5. 5speedsilverado

yeah i think that is all, idk, if someone here has original fog lights, maybe they could post pictures?

you could still post pics of the after, if its not to hard
  6. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

did someone say we should get a picture?
  7. Shamed into after-the-fact pics.

Not sure how much help they'll be but here they are.

[​IMG]

This is what was sanded away and removed

[​IMG]

A nice clean opening

[​IMG]

You remove the valance and sand from the back side

[​IMG]

Another clean opening
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Wow I was kind of wondering how those holes came out, I was seriously doubting what you were saying in your original post. Now that I see it that is awesome, I have to remove those out of my new truck and I am dreading it because mine won't come out like that. Great job though, that has got to be the cleanest removal of those I have ever seen. :great:
  9. 5speedsilverado

wow that does look factory, great job
  10. 5speedsilverado

i took some pictures of mine, it does look like the valance without fog light holes has the mounting bracket for fog lights.but it is on the chrome piece, not the valance. I also took a picture of my tow hook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009