Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Convert Sierra to Yukon XXL

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Sierra2yukon, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Sierra2yukon

Sierra2yukon New Member

I currently have a diesel 08 Sierra 2500HD CrewCab short box. We would like to carry more people, but want to keep the same pulling power. Has anyone ever heard of a custom shop that has chopped the box and made one of these into an SUV with a third or even fourth row of seats.

Thanks
  2. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Welcome to The Club. I can't help you with your question but it sure sounds interesting.
  3. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

There's very little that can't be done with the application of enough money. It might be less expensive to just go buy a used 3/4 ton Suburban with a Duramax (Duraburb). IIRC, GM stopped making the 3/4 ton Surburban with a Duramax in 2010.
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I've heard of turning a 3500 into a burban, but not a 2500. Look up 3500 suburban pretty much is a silverado with a topper that gets insulated and then the bulkhead is removed.
  5. stchman

I don't believe there was ever a 1 ton Suburban, 3/4 ton was the biggest.
  6. Conlan Rose

In modern times no, but a while back there was a one. That is not what I am talking about though I'm talking about taking a silverado 3500 and adding a bed topper, barn doors, cutting the area between the cab and bed, and adding an interior.
  7. stchman

Still might be less money to go find a Duramax 3/4 ton Suburban.
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I tend to agree...
  9. Conlan Rose

Absolutely its cheaper to buy a duraburb. I was just stating that I've seen one before.
  10. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'd also suggest getting a Duraburb. I know that for a lot of their conversions they use the frame from the 2500HD truck and put the suburban body onto it. I would imagine it could also be done with a 3500HD single rear wheel chassis to get the maximum towing ability.