Convert Sierra to Yukon XXL

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Sierra2yukon, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Sierra2yukon

Sierra2yukon New Member

I currently have a diesel 08 Sierra 2500HD CrewCab short box. We would like to carry more people, but want to keep the same pulling power. Has anyone ever heard of a custom shop that has chopped the box and made one of these into an SUV with a third or even fourth row of seats.

Thanks

2. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Welcome to The Club. I can't help you with your question but it sure sounds interesting.

3. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

There's very little that can't be done with the application of enough money. It might be less expensive to just go buy a used 3/4 ton Suburban with a Duramax (Duraburb). IIRC, GM stopped making the 3/4 ton Surburban with a Duramax in 2010.

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I've heard of turning a 3500 into a burban, but not a 2500. Look up 3500 suburban pretty much is a silverado with a topper that gets insulated and then the bulkhead is removed.

5. stchman

I don't believe there was ever a 1 ton Suburban, 3/4 ton was the biggest.

6. Conlan Rose

In modern times no, but a while back there was a one. That is not what I am talking about though I'm talking about taking a silverado 3500 and adding a bed topper, barn doors, cutting the area between the cab and bed, and adding an interior.

7. stchman

Still might be less money to go find a Duramax 3/4 ton Suburban.

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I tend to agree...

9. Conlan Rose

Absolutely its cheaper to buy a duraburb. I was just stating that I've seen one before.

10. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'd also suggest getting a Duraburb. I know that for a lot of their conversions they use the frame from the 2500HD truck and put the suburban body onto it. I would imagine it could also be done with a 3500HD single rear wheel chassis to get the maximum towing ability.