converting 2 whel drive to 4 wheel drive

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jdaugherty3, Dec 31, 2008.

1. jdaugherty3

jdaugherty3 New Member

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe, 2 wheel drive. I would like to convert it to 4 wheel drive. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, that would be great. Thanks

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

buy a 4wd tahoe....most 2wd to 4wd conversions require so much fab skill and money that it's just easier and cheaper to start with a vehicle that's already 4wd. Sorry for the bad news. tbplus10 can probably elaborate more.

3. mehoff400

mehoff400 Rockstar 100 Posts

if your going to really look into this i would look for a shop to do a solid axle on it

4. fx2offroad

fx2offroad Rockstar

I got a buddy that has a 96 suburban that was 2 wheel drive and he is currently converting it to a four wheel drive. The only way i would do it is if you can do all the welding and fabricating yourself. I would cost you somewhere around 9k if you were to have to buy everything and pay for labor.

5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

As the pictures show anything can be converted to 4 wheel drive. As mentioned all it takes is $$$$$. Your best bet would be to sell the Tahoe and buy one that is already 4wd.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You should warn people when you post hideous pics like that. I almost lost my lunch on the Corvette.

7. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

my god that was a corvette? :surprised:

8. fx2offroad

fx2offroad Rockstar

Here is the conversion i'm working with my buddie on. It's a 1996 Suburban 5.7 L 2 Wheel Drive. Soon to be 4 Wheel drive.

[​IMG]

9. Never Enough

Never Enough Rockstar 100 Posts

Is that a vette or an opel?

10. kinglt1

kinglt1 Member

It's a neon!