1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

converting 2 whel drive to 4 wheel drive

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jdaugherty3, Dec 31, 2008.

1. jdaugherty3

jdaugherty3 New Member

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe, 2 wheel drive. I would like to convert it to 4 wheel drive. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, that would be great. Thanks
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

buy a 4wd tahoe....most 2wd to 4wd conversions require so much fab skill and money that it's just easier and cheaper to start with a vehicle that's already 4wd. Sorry for the bad news. tbplus10 can probably elaborate more.
  3. mehoff400

mehoff400 New Member

if your going to really look into this i would look for a shop to do a solid axle on it
  4. fx2offroad

fx2offroad New Member

I got a buddy that has a 96 suburban that was 2 wheel drive and he is currently converting it to a four wheel drive. The only way i would do it is if you can do all the welding and fabricating yourself. I would cost you somewhere around 9k if you were to have to buy everything and pay for labor.
  5. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

As the pictures show anything can be converted to 4 wheel drive. As mentioned all it takes is $$$$$. Your best bet would be to sell the Tahoe and buy one that is already 4wd.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

You should warn people when you post hideous pics like that. I almost lost my lunch on the Corvette.
  7. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts

my god that was a corvette? :surprised:
  8. fx2offroad

fx2offroad New Member

Here is the conversion i'm working with my buddie on. It's a 1996 Suburban 5.7 L 2 Wheel Drive. Soon to be 4 Wheel drive.

[​IMG]
  9. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

Is that a vette or an opel?
  10. kinglt1

kinglt1 New Member

It's a neon!