1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Converting 90 Burban to carburetor

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by wildbill5613, Feb 23, 2014.

1. wildbill5613

wildbill5613 New Member

Hi, I recently purchased a very nice 1990 Suburban with a bad motor, I've got a crate engine that came from who knows what but its carbureted with an electric choke, what all do I need to make this conversion? Biggest thing im worried about is the fuel pump and possibly the distributor....thanks ahead for all input

2. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

If the block bolts up to the frame and trans, why not just put the tbi system on it.

3. wildbill5613

wildbill5613 New Member

Well the guy that wants to buy it, wants the carb instead of the tbi, gotta make it complicated haha,

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Off the top of my head, you'll need a fuel pressure regulator to bring the fuel pump output down into the acceptable range for carbs. Assuming it's a half-ton, you'll also need a TV cable and bracket assembly for the 700R4 transmission. Otherwise, everything else should transfer over pretty easily.

5. wildbill5613

wildbill5613 New Member

Well I guess the engine is a 355, does this change anything?

6. Crawdaddy

So long as it's built off a Chevy Small Block block, nope.

7. wildbill5613

wildbill5613 New Member

Alright got that figured out, now anybody know why coolant smelling/tasting steam would be coming from the vents and from inside the plastic around the where the ac goes into the firewall

8. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I would guess that you have a leak in the heater core.

9. wildbill5613

wildbill5613 New Member

Well some beach lol, guess I'll get to changing that now, haha, we got this thing, its in literally show room quality condition, and has been sitting for prolly 8 years, we got it out if the barn and you could drive it for about 3 miles and the temp would peg out and it would die, then we broke off all four bolts for the water pump, so we swapped the engine, and now its doing this and it shifts gears up and down constantly, but I think that's just a vacuum issue

10. Crawdaddy

The transmission erratically shifting up and down is due to improper TV cable linkage or low ATF fluid. Either way, get that fixed pronto, as the transmission can be destroyed very very quickly like that.